Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    We had our first meeting with DGS 6 school yesterday. Just an informal one where we presented the letter requesting special services. It went well. We spoke with the principal and the special services coordinator. We go back tomorrow morning to finish the school paperwork and set a date for the IEP meeting.

I am not sure that the school is going to be able to do what needs to be done, especially since we are looking at very specialized psychotherapy for reactive attachment disorder, vision therapy for an oculomotor issue, and occupational therapy for sensory and fine motor skills. None of those issues can be addressed at the school, so we will likely need to take DGS out of school on a regular basis to attend weekly appointments. Our school has very strict attendance policies, although they said they can address those absences in a 504 or IEP plan.

Our pediatrician wants them to address his giftedness as well, but the school really wants to deal with the behavior and possible learning disabilities first, as they are not convinced we have accurate iq testing. Neither is the pediatrician, the tester, or the psychologist. So, I guess we will address these things one step at a time.

BTW, Pete Wright from Wrightslaw, will be doing a free seminar near me in December and I will be going. I will also get free copies of all three of his books, sponsored by our state disabilities advocate group. I will hopefully learn more and get empowered to deal with these challenges.

Any advice before we go into the IEP meeting (hopefully) next week?

Thanks for all the advice and support.

leahchris

Originally Posted by leahchris
    Our pediatrician wants them to address his giftedness as well, but the school really wants to deal with the behavior and possible learning disabilities first, as they are not convinced we have accurate iq testing. Neither is the pediatrician, the tester, or the psychologist. So, I guess we will address these things one step at a time.
    I'm really glad for all the positives, but the above confuses me- do they think that the IQ tests are inflating his abilities? It seems more likely that the tests represent a floor and the actual abilities are higher.

Explain to the Pediatrician that they are pulling rank on you as a parent, and ask the Pediatrician to pull rank on them - start with a letter and then move on to a phone call to the point person. I get it that there is a lot to think about and they hold your child 'ransom.' So find another path - but don't give up, ok?

Love and more Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    K
    K
    See if you can get a copy of Pete Wright's From Emotions to Advocacy from the library. I think that book is good prep for advocacy.

As for his seminar, don't get your hopes too high. I went to one this summer and found it lacking. He spent the whole time telling you how to read his book and how to highlight it. Ugh! One caveat, I'm an attorney so my expectations for something that earns me CLE credit are a lot higher. It might be more helpful to non-legal folks.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Grinity,

Everyone who knows my DGS thinks the iq test is an underestimate of his abilities due to a couple of really low subtests. And, since he was given the WISC-III not the WISC-IV, the school is going to want to do it again. We hopefully meet with the school psychologist next week and get his recommendations. So far, all his achievement testing is 96th percentile and higher, except reading comprehension, which is below average - probably due to his vision problem.

I won't give up. I am hoping to build on the good momentum we have started. BTW, DGS had a great teacher for kdg last year. She retired but is doing some reading specialty work this year, and has requested that she get to pull DGS out during her 10-minute break several times a week just to give him a "break" with someone he know and trusts. The school counselor he saw last year also sought him out at open house to make sure she will still get to see him each week. She does a lot for his anxiety at school. I am hoping that with all the support from the faculty, the special services coordinator will figure out that this kid has A LOT of support and A LOT of people who believe in him and his abilities.

leahchris

That sounds great about the kindy teacher. Great to have a team!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM