Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by Dude
    There's a conflict dynamic that is all too common between adults, usually married, wherein one partner shuts down as a defensive mechanism. The vocal partner escalates their aggression, in an effort to get the quiet partner back into the discussion. The quiet one retreats further, the vocal one escalates yet again, and it becomes a destructive feedback loop. In this scenario, the vocal one is escalating not out of a need to "steal energy," but because of growing insecurity about the relationship. "Do you even care?"

I would argue that those who are dealing with a shut-down partner ARE trying to evoke a reaction...any reaction. Yes, I totally agree that the reaction isn't pleasant. But this is much the same for a kid (like my DS) who continues to kick the back of my carseat until I've blown up. He may not like the reaction...but he was compelled to draw it out of me.

Your description of the shut-down couple is very accurate. You may enjoy the writings of Gottman Insstitute and their research with couples. It is educational and fascinating.

Last edited by Evemomma; 07/09/12 04:55 PM.
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I have started the online intensive course I mentioned in the OP. There are five parts and I finished part one today. It is basically HG's voice following along with presentation slides. It was about two hours long.

I like the theory behind the approach. I think it really makes a lot of sense. I just wish the language wasn't so - fluffy. Not sure if that is the word I am looking for but all the talk of "energy flow" and "inner greatness" and "juicy relationships" seems to detract from program's credibility.

I still plan to use the approach. I might just tell my more critical/skeptical husband about it and only have him watch specific portions.

As for using it at school, that ended up working itself out. Our OT went to the meeting to address sensory accommodations and she brought up NHA as well. Her son goes there too, she uses this approach (kept up with the credit system the entire school year) so his teachers were already familiar with it. My son's teacher was not familiar with it specifically but she knows the OT's son had been having behavior issues which have drastically improved. She seemed really mellow so I don't think she would be one to energize his negativity anyway.

Originally Posted by KJP
    I like the theory behind the approach. I think it really makes a lot of sense. I just wish the language wasn't so - fluffy. Not sure if that is the word I am looking for but all the talk of "energy flow" and "inner greatness" and "juicy relationships" seems to detract from program's credibility.
    Those were my feelings about the book-- some mystical New Age mumbo-jumbo that made no sense as an explanation for some remarkably good horse sense.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    KJP
    I'm glad to hear that the course is useful. Sorry to hear that it isn't in a form that is likely to be so usefu to your DH. The good news is that once your DH sees you putting it into practice he won't need to read about it. Just keep positively energising your DH when makes efforts in the right directionn.

I like the spiritual stuff but I think the clearest presentation of the ideas is in Lisa Bravo 's workbook version of Transforming.

Weirdly I'm currently reading a textbook on the psychology of persasion and there is a discusion of the brainwashing of US prisioners of war by Communist Chinese durinng the Korean War. The similarities to this parenting .method jumped off the page to me: celebrating small compliances,reduced harsh punishments, and manipulating the targets self image and then waiting for the persoons behavior to catch up.

I personally would rather think about fluffy terms like inner wealth as it sounds nobler but whatever works, right?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    My copy is being delivered tomorrow or tuesday. I look forward to reading it and seeing how it can be integrated together with our new parenting style to help Aiden find his own path with his intensities.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    Originally Posted by KJP
    I registered for an intensive five part on-line course in the Nutured Heart Approach.

The course was supposed to be available tomorrow but now the release has been delayed and the course won't be available until later in the month.

I was hoping to be familiar with the program earlier because next week I am meeting with my son's teacher to discuss the upcoming school year.

KJP - How is the process going for you? Is your son responding? Did your DH get the gist of it? Which parts are easy and which parts are difficult?

I just got some School Success Solutions info on a free webcourse in this method, and it caused me to wonder how things are going? How are they going?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks for checking on us Grinity. I am still working through the course. I have my babysitter and husband on board with making a big deal of being good and taking the emotion out of consequences. My husband seems to have the most trouble with taking the emotion out of consequences but at least at this point he is trying. We have not started any sort of credit or point system.
    I'll keep you posted.

I don't think that the credit system is key while you are just getting started. Don't rush it. It's better after the initial enthusiasm has worn off, to remind the parent to acknowledge what is going well.

It's great that your husband and babysitter are on board. The excitement starts when the time outs are introduced. They are awesome, but hard to get the hang of.

Is the course interactive at all?
    smiles,
    Grinity

U
    U
    I also find that my DD goes crazy when I remaim really calm and don't get embroiled in the struggle at all. She will do almost anything to get my attention/energy back. In fact, on a few such occasions I have seen her come close to hitting me. I think it's quite scary to her when we disengage.

P
    Pru Offline
    P
    After DD4 brought us to our knees again this weekend, I remembered after one particualarly bad evening that she had some caffienated soda--usually forbidden--earlier that day. Never again!

To top it off, one of our old friends announced they were expecting their SEVENTH child. They sent along a photo of the first six all lined up and smiling. I tried and failed to envision us surviving having a third child similar to our first two. Then I comforted myself with the thought that they couldn't handle ours either, to fend off any creeping notions that we may simply just be bad parents. wink

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM