Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    L
    L
    Didn't read the other responses but wanted to share what my sister, a teachers' trainer, tells her teachers "sticks and stones can break your bones but words can break your soul." while your son is intellectually far superior than his age mates, emotionally he is still a 2.5 year old. He may not fully understand jealousy and sarcasm and may take some of the things this woman says literally. I would remove your child from a situation where he has to interact with this woman and/or let the woman know that her behavior is unacceptable.

E
    E
    If she is staff and is being sarcastic and verbally inappropriate with a child in the center's care, the director needs to know about it NOW. In writing, with specific examples.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    E
    E
    She sounds immature and certainly needs to know when to shut it. I do think you should let the director know what was going on even if you don't come back.

Playing devil's advocate here. You say your son had ignored her many times when she greeted him. This will tend to annoy adults, who will see this as a sign of disrespect. Shy kids and kids with ASD struggle with this and are often misinterpreted as rude, oppositional and passive aggressive. He may still be still be too little to understand, but eventually he needs to know how shutting down will impact how others see him. ESPECIALLY adults with chips on their shoulders.

Personally, I wouldn't pull out my kid because of one adult who happens to pop in from time to time... because honestly, where will you find an environment without one awful adult? If he gets along well with his teacher and his peers, that's more important to me.

I would, however, register a formal complaint with the director, and ask that this woman be kept away from my child.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by Evemomma
    She sounds immature and certainly needs to know when to shut it. I do think you should let the director know what was going on even if you don't come back.

Playing devil's advocate here. You say your son had ignored her many times when she greeted him. This will tend to annoy adults, who will see this as a sign of disrespect. Shy kids and kids with ASD struggle with this and are often misinterpreted as rude, oppositional and passive aggressive. He may still be still be too little to understand, but eventually he needs to know how shutting down will impact how others see him. ESPECIALLY adults with chips on their shoulders.

Ain't THAT the truth. Good point, E.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    D
    D
    I'd speak to the director and make liberal use of the words, "I beg your pardon?" and "What do you mean?" when speaking with her.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks everyone for all of your responses. I talked to my sons teacher at the center this morning about the rude woman. It was a bit awkward because this woman is also her friend. She tried to stay real neutral on the issue, but said with my son being gifted some jealous reactions are to be expected.

His teacher advised me to try and talk with this woman directly and resolve the issue, or take it to her superior.

I am not going to bother talking to this woman directly, I think she will be offended or act phony and I don't think any progress will be made. She seems quite immature.

I am going to send an email to the director regarding the issue of this womans inappropriate behavior. I am going to let her know this is why I do not want to bring my son up to the center anymore.

A
    A
    Are you kidding?!? Some jealousy is to be expected? She is a grown woman. She is being paid to care for children with some modicum of professionalism.

Wow. Just wow,

I
    OP Offline
    I
    I know..I agree, her behavior is very unprofessional. I think she is acting like a middle school girl and should be embarrassed. I'm done with it though. I don't need that place. I guess I better get use to this lonely world I'm in with Isaiah. People act ridiculous and its very upsetting. Thinking about it makes me feel sick.

D
    D
    No, I don't think you have to get used to being lonely. Our experience has been that lots of people are kind and get it. Some won't. You don't have to take the nasty ones as defining.

DeeDee

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM