Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #135129 08/04/12 03:00 PM
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    DS4 started OT in March for retained reflexes and sensory issues. We've had several visitors (friends/family) spend time with us and the consensus is that he seems normal (or at least the gifted normal my family has come to expect) My more outspoken relatives think we are getting ripped off by the OT by being made to think something is wrong when everything is fine. These visitors have included teachers, parents with gifted kids, parents with a special needs kid and parents with a normal kid the same age.

I like our OT. I'd like to think that wasn't the case but I am wondering what the long term plan is.

For others out there that have had OT's for these types of issues, how do you know when to stop? Did you have a treatment plan that discussed the length of time OT would take?

KJP #135130 08/04/12 03:33 PM
    P
    P
    KJP, we haven't had exactly the same issues that you've mentioned but my older dd and ds have both been through multiple rounds of therapies (dd has had sensory OT at 4/5 years old, vision therapy at 8; ds has been through handwriting OT, and has been seeing an SLP for disorder of written expression remediation for the past 2 years). With each of our therapists, our kids were first given an assessment/evaluation, then a set of goals was written up by the therapists and their sessions specifically targeted skills that worked toward those goals; some of the therapists were more detailed and comprehensive in outlining their goals. The therapists each met with us briefly at the end of each therapy session and reviewed what they'd worked on that day, what skills/goals the work targeted, and discusses anything they wanted us to be doing at home (if anything). Our OT work ended for both dd and ds when they had reached their goals. DD was "let go" from her vision therapy when she plateaued and wasn't making progress anymore. DS surpassed his speech goals on schedule (about 9 months after starting) but ds still sees her because he is continuing to make progress and there is a lot more that the SLP can do with him.

I am sure there were friends and family who thought our kids were "just fine', but to be honest we never discussed it with our family or friends, other than times when we were asked to be somewhere at the same time as a therapy session - and sometimes that would lead to questions, but when we got them I just answered the questions very straightforward, factual, this is what it is, and moved on. Sensory OT is a little bit "out there" for some people - I don't think I'd ever heard of it until about 10 years ago - so that might be part of what's up with your family not understand.

One very important piece of the puzzle though (and most likely the most important) is are *you* questioning what the therapist is doing and the benefit of it? If you are, you need to talk to her and ask specifically where your child is in reaching the goals that were first set out when he was evaluated, how much longer do they expect it to take to reach the goals etc.

polarbear

KJP #135135 08/04/12 07:25 PM
    M
    M
    My older son (will be 4 in two weeks) has been in OT for severe sensory issues for the last 2 years. I know he DOES have these problems but I don't think in his case the therapy is working. But he enjoys it and the insurance covers it so I just look at it as being nice that someone else other than me works with him one on one. We've had two great therapists over the years, so the lack of progress isn't due to them. It's more so that his issues come and go. He outgrows something and something else pops up.
    Now, as to your question, there are times when I question if he really needs the therapy ... it's the periods of times when he's doing better (between problems coming and going) ... I also have friends (and even my husband) who question why we do this and they think he's just a normal slightly ADHD little boy BUT these friends that question it themselves have kids who in my mind need some serious therapy (one of them finally got her kids evaluated and one is in special ed preschool now and the other is getting therapies through early intervention) so I think it's people who are in denial about their own kids who are the ones to tell you your child is fine. Just follow your gut. If you feel like it's not worth it, forget it. If you feel it's helping, keep going ... We now work with two therapists ... one is OT (the one my son loves!) and the other is a physical therapist though she does mainly OT work with him and I can see it's not working too well with her. She's older, the owner of the place, with tons of experience ... but I just don't see her being a good match for my son so comes fall, I'll probably come with some good excuse why keep just the one OT and not the PT. We started with the second one as she was going to try some other methods (cranial-sacral and related "touch" therapies that the OT is not certified for) but I see these methods backfiring and not working for him. They work for most kids with sensory issues but in his case they make him more irritable and now even angry. ... so, again, I'll be following my gut and if things don't turn around in a few weeks, we'll be getting less.

KJP #135136 08/04/12 07:27 PM
    M
    M
    oh, and those who think your child is normal ... are probably also the same people who behind your back think his issues aren't anything that a smack on the butt wouldn't fix ... they don't understand that kids with sensory issues don't respond like other kids. At least not my son. He does NOT learn from previous experience, he does not understand time outs ... so no, normal punishment that would correct his little freak outs and tantrums would not work with him. That's why he's in therapy.

KJP #135144 08/04/12 10:35 PM
    F
    F
    My DD 3 soon to be four started PT when she was 6 months. It was me in the beginning asking for something as I knew something was not right. We worked with two PT's until she was about 16 months. It stopped working and I was having some issues with their over involvement in my parenting style and choices. I left them even though they would have encouraged more. Now we are in OT for sensory issues and the improvement has been tremendous. However, that was after a lot of shopping for OT's and turning three at least down. Not the right fit, did not feel right.. etc. I was beginning to think it was something about me. With this one, it was different. There is a click on a subliminal level. Maybe even on a sensory level. I can't really explain. I could not get my DD to swing. Two sessions later and she is a swinging fiend... There was a difference after the first initial evaluation session. Trust yourself...

KJP #135160 08/05/12 02:28 PM
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks for the input. I really like our OT so I think we will keep going weekly until he is settled in school and then ask about tapering off after that.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations