Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 28 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I believe the psychiatrist was going to get in touch with the neuropsych to see if he could get some answers to the concerns he had regarding the testing proceedures and report. I'm planning to wait until after our next appointment with the psychiatrist to see what he says before I send the written complaint - not only to the insurance company but to the boards that certify him.

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by master of none
    Sadly, from what you have told us, this tester will probably see any complaints or criticism as a vindictive reaction from a parent who just can't accept that their child is not gifted. And it might reinforce their idea that parents have too much of their own self worth tied up in their children, and need to learn to accept their children as they are. (I suspect he may have never actually seen a gifted child)

And if he gets a lot of heat, the tester might respond by practicing more defensively and "giving parents what they want" rather than learning more about how to use testing to find out about how a child works and how to help them interface with the world.

I sure wish there were a way to open his mind to new learning on this topic. Having peers/professionals provide constructive feedback might help. A good supervisor could go a long way too.

You're right, of course, and I did mention to the psychiatrist that I suspected the very thin report was due to Thr neuropsych being twerked with my having actually questioned his results. The psychiatrist's opine is that it had to be more than that, because it wasn't just the report that wasn't up to par; he was also concerned by the failure to follow through with additional testing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM