Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 335 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    There was a cancellation, so I got in today to see the original psychiatrist who referred my son to the neuropsych for testing. ( Original Post]Previous Thread )

His response to the neuropsych's report? It was the smallest, least useful report he's ever received. He said the IQ test should have been declared invalid and shouldn't have been scored due to the discrepancies in scores and the failure of the tester to actively participate in following through with additional questions as well as not following up with additional testing for the areas of discrepancy that appeared in testing.

He also discussed that many of the notes in the report should have been clues that the scores did not match what the tester observed. My favorite observation the psychiatrist made today. He read this line from the report: "he over thought many answers that had simple responses, lowering his score" and then said, "You can't over-think an answer if you can't over-think. It should have been an indication that the IQ score did not agree with the behaviors he was observing."

I could have hugged him.

We are getting a new referral, but he wants to do research first to find a more qualified tester this time.

He did say that he is observing both through the test results and in his visits with my son a lot of Asperger's-like traits, although he said he isn't willing to diagnose that just yet. But he said the traits are definitely there and should be addressed where needed. He also said the auditory issues would need to be addressed as well as starting some physical/occupational therapy.

ABQmom
    That's wonderful - not that it happened - but that this professional who you respect agreed with your view and your gut and is helping you get your son a better tester so ou can FINALLY get some answers!

And kudos to you for your perservernce. If only your dr would call the tester on his crappy effort!

DeHe

D
    D
    ABQ, what DeHe said. The persevering moms get the answers that help their kids. Well done.

DeeDee

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you. I don't feel like I have answers yet, but at least I'm not suck at a dead end.

I'm so glad that your original psychiatrist is helping and agreed with some of your concerns over the neuropsych report. Such a relief to get some validation, even if no answers just yet. I hope things go more smoothly this time around. If nothing else, you and the psychiatrist have a bit more information about how your child performs in a test setting, and what to avoid in the future.

Good news, and nice work on persevering instead of just accepting that bad report.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Yeah, I kinda wish there was a way to withhold payment from the neuropsych as well, but there isn't. I did, however, file an official complaint with the insurance company regarding his aggressive demeanor with me during the consultation.

F
    F
    Good for you! I hope you notify the insurance company about the referring psych's concerns about the quality of testing he provided, in writing preferably. Getting that guy off the insurance referral list would be an apt consequence for his lack of skill and professionalism.

Ooh, good one fwtxmom . I like this idea ABQmom. As well as letting the person who referred you know. I can't remember if this was the neuro you just saw or not.

DeHe

M
    M
    Oh that is great news. You must feel so validated to have a respected professional have exactly the same concerns you do about the report.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM