Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    JamD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi all-
    I've posted elsewhere about DD8. We're in the middle of doing some extensive testing...so far I've been told that she's "very gifted" (numbers to come in June). She struggles, struggles with reading, and on her reading specific tests her comprehension is up 90-99th percentile while some mechanics of reading is down in the 50th. Yesterday the psyD who is doing the testing said that with her "very high" IQ the 50th percentile could count as a learning disability around reading. I'll know a lot more in mid-June, but of course my brain is whirring now.

She's in B&M school, and I see she is a combination of bored and frustrated - she can't read fast enough to show any of the stuff she is capable of. I've talked to them - without test results - and not gotten very far.

I could imagine she might blossom if homeschooled. But hubby and I both work. I can't even begin to imagine the logistics. I just wondered if there is any BTDT?

Thanks!
    Susan

Last edited by JamD; 05/26/12 06:43 AM.
    Hi Susan...we never did it but I've spent many hours thinking about it.

I wouldn't worry about getting the academics in but Id be more concerned with finding something for an 8 year old to do all day. I've thought about family members, day care centers that might welcome a jr. Staff and farm work.

Is your job the sort where she could tag a long? Other times and cultures where Adults can be productive while babies and children can be around sure looked appealing to me during the first 10 years of parenting.

I will say that things have never been as bad as 2nd grade so I'm hoping you are just around the corner from better days.

Love and more love
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by JamD
    Hi all-
    She's in B&M school, and I see she is a combination of bored and frustrated - she can't read fast enough to show any of the stuff she is capable of. I've talked to them - without test results - and not gotten very far.

I think a large part of the equation here is that you haven't had a clear understanding of what's going on with your dd and you've had no data to show to the school - you might find that once the testing is finished and you have the reports and you've had the summer months to research your dd's needs based on the neuropscyh's findings that a meeting with the B&M school might be much more productive (or not!).. but for us, having the data and having done the research into our ds' particular challenges made advocating at school *much* more effective than prior to the evaluations.

Re homeschooling - I'd suggest trying to reach out to other families who homeschool this summer to learn what you can about local resources and to ask around re how other families near you handle situations where the parents are both working. Another thing I'd do is to look into optional/charter schools in your area, and private schools (some offer good financial aide packages if $ is a concern). I honestly never thought I'd send my children to private school, but it's been absolutely *the* single best thing we've done for our 2e ds12.

The good thing is, you have the summer to sort through everything - good luck!

polarbear

K
    K
    I've SERIOUSLY considered this option and am sort of in talks with DS7's former teacher. I work part-time, so I could pick up the afternoon and join some local homeschool groups.

I know there are other kids/parents from his class that would be interested in doing this with us, so the only thing we're running into is logistics/insurance/etc.

We do it and have for 3 years. I was part time in the past and now we will be full time this year. DH works from home, but doesn't help much with the schooling. We utilize some online and do some teaching in the evenings and then DD 7 does work reinforcing it during the day. DD10 and DS13 do a lot of online and are very motivated and independent so it works. If I had unmotivated children it might not work. It is seriously easier for me than attempting to work with schools. (exercise in frustration there) Depending on where you live and your schools and child's abilities it may be easier for you too. My kids prefer this way. We have used nannies too-when we both worked outside the home.

S
    SummitCindy
    Unregistered
    SummitCindy
    Unregistered
    S
    3timemom, can you recommend some of your online classes? We love homeschool, but need more advanced opportunities.

Sure, We have used several.

EPGY- although my use was limited to early elementary and open enrollment. We liked it, but it was a little dry compared to other options. I have thought about using it for basics and then adding MCT for challenge- I might try that next year. We tend to do a grammar heavy year then a literary heavy year and this year we are literary.

Thinkwell- We used it for math and then also used Singapore/AOPS for some more challenge. I have used for 6th grade through Algebra 2. I wouldn't use it alone for mathy kids, but it provides a very nice base and takes the pressure off of parents teaching.. Thinkwell had videos that I found dorky but my kids LOVED the guy and even wanted a rubber chicken at his recommendation (he said everyone needs a rubber chick to do math) Now the rubber chicken is a good luck mascot for tests. IT is about $150 a year, but you can get deals through homeschool buyers coop.

Khan Academy.FREE!!! We have used this EXTENSIVELY and I can't say enough good things. Science and math are the biggest areas we use. Try it out. We started in about 6th grade for my oldest and I started my second at grade 4. They amaze me with how easily they get the concepts.

Fascinating Chemistry and Biology are things we will use this year. Jr high-high school level course. I have looked at it briefly and I don't know how it will work. The chemistry looks better than the biology. I don't know if I would have bought it but I had coupons to get it free from homeschool buyers coop. I will have to update later.

Gifted Learning Links. All kinds of good stuff, but very $$$$$. We have had good luck with teachers and will do a computer programming course there this year. I know some who ahve had varying experiences with teachers. I would post on WTM or GHF forums to see if anyone had experience with a teacher before starting there. I emailed teachers beforehand to see if I could get a feel for quality.

MIT open courseware- lots of math/science/geeky choices. We have used it for computer programming in the past. It is more lecture style. Again- FREE. It is similar to auditing a college course- no accreditation or grades were given by them. I was told they are working on a system for some sort of accreditation but I don't the know status. It didn't matter to us.

I have friends who have use dK12 or Connections academy, but I didn't feel it was our fit. Everyone is different and they would be good things to explore.

Good Luck!

S
    SummitCindy
    Unregistered
    SummitCindy
    Unregistered
    S
    3timemom,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into these classes. For those of us just entering "home" middle school, I think the challenge of finding fast paced online teachers & material is just starting.

Cheers

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM