Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 383 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    DS(almost)9 and DD6 are almost polar opposite in their interests. She is very artistic and creative, outgoing, and loves soccer and anything with fur. He is not all that creative, but excellent at math and science, and the only sport he really enjoys is taekwondo (he has tried others, but doesn't do well in them and gets frustrated - he is surprisingly good at taekwondo.) Anyway, DD has done everything from soccer to art lessons to community theater, loves every minute of it, and does really well. DS, however, has a serious shortage of activities in which he can participate. I would like to find him some science-related activities, if possible. Maybe a science club of some sort? I told him he could go to Space Camp next summer, and he is incredibly excited about it. But I get the impression that right now, he feels left out because all of his sister's interests are being nurtured and all I can do with him is teach him astronomy at home. (He does enjoy that, but it's not the same as being around other kids with similar interests). Does anyone have any ideas for how to combat this problem? I live on the coast of NC, if that helps - not the world's most academically-oriented area.

C
    C
    It's difficult to be helpful, without a lot of local knowledge - and we too have experienced that there just isn't much out there for sciency kids. (A friend and I were moaning about the lack of science summer camps here, and fantasising about starting one - oh, except that we both have jobs already. Oops.)

Are online communities any use? There are various online maths sites that have some kind of community attached to them, where kids can e.g. compete against one another or discuss problems. Art of problem solving is the one I know best (Alcumus plus discussion forums plus a competitive game called For The Win which I have no direct experience of) but I think Mathletes has something similar...?

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Have you checked into local college/universities? Many have programs for K-12 students during the summer months, and while quality varies (greatly!) among classes and programs, a surprising number have a STEM focus.

Lego Robotics is another great outlet for kids like this if you have a robust program near you (or you can start your own FLL team).

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    I *just* today found a lovely online Science course. It has live teleclasses for chemistry experiments as well as a full curriculum right from K through to 12! It's run by a former NASA rocket scientist, and is aimed at homeschoolers, but I cannot see why anyone couldn't do it and really enjoy it.

http://www.superchargedscience.com/

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years