Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    I ordered a Mensa t-shirt years ago but I've never been able to bring myself to wear it. I guess that's my answer, lol.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Kathie_K
    To add to my dilemma, I wonder if I would feel differently if DS made the traveling team (of course that isn't possible yet) for a sport? I don't think I'd be as self-conscious.

I know... I wonder the same thing myself. What is with society in that sporty kids get celebrated but clever kids get ostracized? It makes no sense to me.

I think Center for Talent Development is sufficiently vague to most people, but if you came upon someone in the know then it might be slightly awkward. In theory I think he should be able to wear the shirt anywhere anytime because it's just a camp shirt, but in actuality I would be a little hesitant to have my ds wear it out and about.

What I generally do when my kids have a shirt that I don't want them wearing in public is I have them wear it as a sleep shirt, playing it up as "Wow, that will make a great sleep shirt! Very cool!"

She thought she could, so she did.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by CCN
    I ordered a Mensa t-shirt years ago but I've never been able to bring myself to wear it. I guess that's my answer, lol.

Mensa for Kids has reading lists for children in various grades
    http://mensaforkids.org/school_template.cfm?showPage=school_readeraward.cfm , discussed in a recent thread http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....2472/How_to_Choose_Summer_Reading_f.html , and a child who completes a list gets a free Mensa t-shirt . Our three kids are working on the lists and may visit the playground in matching Mensa t-shirts smile.

D
    D
    I feel that way about the Duke TIP car magnet. My car will have a magnet from 3 schools, the gymnastics place, the tennis place, the Kids chess thing...hmmmm I think that is all (yes, I know...but everyone does it where we live...when in Rome) but I just have the feeling that driving around with that Duke TIP magnet is obnoxious. DD11 feels the same way (without me telling her what I thought) even though in general, I am very careful to make sure she knows that she has a right to be proud of her academic accomplishments and that we are proud of her too, and that giftedness is not something to hide. The magnet is on the garage fridge. For some reason I think a t-shirt is less obnoxious than a magnet. I guess the bigger issue is the child's attitude and behavior--if a kid really wanted to wear the shirt I prob. would allow it.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Mensa for Kids has reading lists for children in various grades
    http://mensaforkids.org/school_template.cfm?showPage=school_readeraward.cfm , discussed in a recent thread http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....2472/How_to_Choose_Summer_Reading_f.html , and a child who completes a list gets a free Mensa t-shirt . Our three kids are working on the lists and may visit the playground in matching Mensa t-shirts smile.

Aw, neat! That's fun smile I opened the link and am looking at some of the book lists. Your kids will be the Mensa team at the park smile

L
    L
    I agree most people are not going to know what the Center for Talent Development means. And I don't know why those that do would be uncomfortable. I guess unless they specifically had a kid that wanted to go but wasn't accepted?

I know what CTD is. Most people I know don't though. I live in the Chicago metro and if I saw a kid with a shirt like that I would think it's cool and if I said anything I would probably ask if they enjoyed it because they sound like alot of fun! smile

I
    I
    DD17 adores her Davidson THINK t-shirt... but she only wears it to fencing club, where a lot of the other kids very bright.

B
    B
    I think everyone should be proud of their accomplishments. Some kids are gifted at sports and their parents put the magnet on the car and some are gifted intellectually.....and should put the magnet on their car. Be proud.

A
    A
    Kathie...DD just went to the same session and ended up with the same very colorful and way too big t-shirt...it was a little easier decision for us because dd took one look at the shirt and said she would never wear it (DD only wears dresses at this point lol)

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM