Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My son is like a different kid with school being out! We still have a temper tantrum every now and again, but it's like twice a month, instead of twice a day. He's not biting his nails (!!!) these days, and he's been eating really well. He's loving summer camp (it's very active, with lots of outside time and swimming) and he's super excited about going to the beach next week.

I am almost dreading school starting up again, the summer has been so nice! I am really hoping the new charter school works out and we can keep this ball rolling.

Anyone else's 2E kiddo enjoying the summertime this much?

~amy
    A
    A
    With my older two, about this time of the summer I'd start counting the days until they were back in school. With my 2e kiddo, it is the opposite. I keep counting down the days with growing dread. Summer has been such a respite for both of us!

We love summertime. Well, sort of.

Because we still have all of the disability-related stuff to wade through...

but at least in the summer, we always have the option to just walk away from stuff that isn't working (or is downright toxic). grin

We look toward each school year with a mixture of naive hope and eagerness, tempered with a jaded inner caution that those expectations have (mostly) been dashed to bits each year within a few weeks...

What can I say? We're terrible optimists.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    J
    J
    Summer is so much more relaxing. We have really been enjoying it too. Our older boy is hearing impaired, and it's always a mixed bag with him for teachers- it depends if they realize that his hearing impairment is a disability and can affect him. Sometimes the teacher doesn't believe he's hearing impaired, even though he wears a hearing aid and has an IEP. With summer camps, they are pretty cool about it (probably b/c camps tend to be staffed by young people as opposed to older, cynical teachers).
    Still, in the fall, he finally can enter our local full-time gifted program for fourth grade, so we have high hopes for that!
    Our little one has read 5 Magic Tree House books in a few weeks. He finally agreed to wear his glasses when he reads.

We're the other way around. My DSS, who struggles academically in high school, has been doing great over the summer. DS6, who had a relatively good year in K despite being 'bored'(even with being given 2nd grade levl work to do), appears to be missing the structure that school provdes and has told us a number of times that he's "a little bit sad" about not being in school. Nopt what I would have expected at all.

K
    K
    I'm sorry! Your reply just caught my attention.

How in the world does someone not recognize a child with a hearing impairment? Especially with aids on, and an IEP in place? That's crazy to me!!!

OK, I'm over my shock and disbelief. *sigh*

K
    K
    Oh, and...yeah, man! We're totally thrilled about summer vacation in this house! With teachers and three kids in the household, we LOVE summer vacation!!! :-)

epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hah, I grew up with a step-mother who was a teacher and summers were the best because she was home to take us to do stuff the whole time.

~amy
    P
    P
    Oh yeah! In the summer we have happy-go-lucky, cheerful, confident DD. During school we have the anxiety, migraine riddled version. She loves, loves, loves all the camps - this week theater, last week marine biology, next week nature and ecology. I am told every day "what a great kid" I have. If it weren't for the LD's I would seriously consider homeschooling. I have never been a fan of home schooling but the difference in the 2 DD's is just so striking! I would love it if she could just enjoy the learning without all the anxiety school is producing.

{big sigh} Glad to know we're not alone. I guess it's a 2e thing not a DD thing...

J
    J
    We've had teachers tell us that they think he can really hear and he is just faking it. I'm like, really?? I guess because he is very verbal and bright, he doesn't "look" hearing impaired. Hearing loss is a hidden disability.
    Usually half-way through the year, the teacher has forgotten about the IEP and he's sitting in the back of the classroom, although the IEP also says he is supposed to sit in the front of the class.

K
    K
    Good on him, for adjusting so well to his impairment!

Sometimes people baffle me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...