Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 228 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #133486 07/08/12 06:39 AM
    OP Offline
    I had a really hard time figuring out which section to put this in, it's not really about "environments" but there isn't a section labelled "learning/teaching methods." And it's kinda sorta about homeschooling, since I envision many, but not all of it to be about teaching as a parent. Anyway.

Simple question: What are the best ways to teach art?

But nothing's ever actually simle, so...
    a) how can you guess which methods are best for individual kids
    b) what changes with age
    c) what changes because of the parents' relationship to art
    d) what changes with mediums

Part of the reason I'm asking is that I have a wierd situation with DS. He is actually pretty artistically tallented, he has a very good eye, definitely better than average, and can frame photographs in a very surprisingly sophisticated way. But. He's darned clumsy with his hands, and a perfectionist. Which is to say he takes after both his parents! The result of this is that he uses us as scribes--for ART. (he may someday get into vector drawing, which is, at the end of the day my medium, because really, I'm not that good with brushes and pencils either, but I don't think he's ready juuuust yet.)

I'm not really ok with that. It just seems to defeat the whole darned purpose, thanks.

So recently I started him on an extemporaneous, but very consious "learn to draw" programme. About once a day, when he's interested, I do a little "lesson..." "start with an oval" type stuff. I'm conflicted about this because in my own history, this was a stultifying approach. But it struck me that it was what he needed, I was entirely capable of teaching this way, and so I tried. His dad has come to me with several drawings (not coached) that he did by himself, voluntarily, in the past week... so I gotta say, I think it's working. The ones he did by himself are completely unlike the ones I coached him on, so I guess it's not limiting his creativity... but like I said, I'm a little conflicted.

Now, giving him those awesome twisty crayons helped too, because that good eye of his hates poor quality materials, and these have much better colour (range and quality), are smoother in texture, AND are sharper.

Uh... now I'm just rambling. And I'm supposed to be sewing... ok, shutting up now...

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Michaela #133494 07/08/12 11:12 AM
    B
    B
    How old is DS?

I've just started using the InkPad app on my iPad to avoid further inflaming the tendons in my wrist (I'm a Macromedia Freehand and two-button mouse refugee). InkPad is a fairly intuitive and simple vector program. Also, quite inexpensive (once you buy the iPad, of course). There are free graphics apps, but this one is less than $10.

Michaela #133505 07/08/12 02:48 PM
    E
    E
    I think that there are different purposes in art education (my thoughts here)
    1) learning to be creative through material use, problem-solving, out of the box thinking, story-telling, abstraction, etc.
    2) learning to be playful, messy, to tolerate ambiguity, to be spontaneous at times and grossly detailed and planned at other times.
    3) learning to express oneself visually, to make emotions concrete, to render ambiguity and complexity, and to more deeply tap into oneself.
    4) learning to create a visually appealing product using technique and the basic principles of design.

By a certain age, most kids (and adults) get tripped up on the last goal...attempting to make the perfect product - and often miss the real gem of art in the process. I would be sure to include lessons that emphasize the creative experience and not just the product. Most of us won't need to render perfect perspective in our work: but tolerating chaos, expressing ourselves succinctly, thinking outside the box, self-insight, and taking on a new perspective on something is valued for sure.

Michaela #133513 07/08/12 04:51 PM
    U
    U
    There are so many mediums other than drawing or painting, if those cause frustration. Why not photography, if he's good at it? Collage? Gluing objects together to make sculpture? Clay?

I absolutely would not be scribe, though.

Michaela #133515 07/08/12 05:25 PM
    OP Offline
    Ahhhh... but I'm not worried about frustration, he doesn't get frustrated about his. Actually, I'm not worried about anything. I'm just thinking about ways to teach art.

He asks us to scribe in any medium, including telling me how to frame, and then asking me to push the button. It's just a thing with him. Actually, he asks me to do EVERYTHING for him. It's just a thing.

I've done a lot of teaching/learning in art, from kids to college students (though not a lot of any one group in there ;)). I've usually been able to impose my own ideas of correct teaching, but my son is teaching me that that sometimes is not the right thing wink And another thread on here made me think of it.

I ALWAYS come off as worried. Sheesh. I gotta work on that. They spent years telling me "cite examples" and now I... get in trouble with it!!! well, that's part of it, I think, anyway...

I should have mentioned that I was spinning off another thread, though.

Michaela #133516 07/08/12 05:32 PM
    I think that Evemomma is quite succinct and correct in the various purposes that art serves.

And really, in most cases, the last of those is ultimately the least important one to explore fully. Item number 3 on her list:

3) learning to express oneself visually, to make emotions concrete, to render ambiguity and complexity, and to more deeply tap into oneself.

This seems to be the single most important reason for all people to be educated in a hands-on way about the arts. Otherwise, art appreciation would be fine for everyone, right?

The point is to understand the purpose that art can serve for us as individuals. For some people, that will include #4-- eventually, anyway, as they work as artists.

For the rest of us, that third item is critical as a means of coping with a sometimes overwhelming/bewildering world. I'd argue that those not fully in step with that world have the greatest need for artistic expression of some kind for just that reason, in fact.

All that to say why I think that ultramarina's correct in noting that scribing is NOT a way to do this. I think that, if anything, it tends to reinforce the underlying internal messages driving perfectionism, which in turn emphasizes item 4, which is mostly not compatible with art's purpose in numbers 1, 2, and 3.

Someone else mentioned the idea of "letting go of the editor" in the other art thread, and this really resonated with me because that is exactly the advice that I've heard over and over again from: a) friends who teach art professionally, b) professional artists in a variety of media, and c) from mentors in my learning as a writer.

It's the trick to tolerating imperfection long enough to master ANY medium. Including the performing arts, truly.

I noticed that if I 'scribed' for DD (which I did only briefly when she was quite little), I actually dampened her own willingness to do things herself-- because she was then comparing her ability with mine and noting that MY output was closer to her "vision" than her own... or that she was assuming that it was "better" because I seemed less critical/conflicted about it or something.

Teaching kids a framework of "seeing" and teaching the technical aspects of how to CONTROL the medium, though-- those things are fine. I've had better luck with DD since making suggestions which relate to those two things and only mentioning how much I 'enjoy' various technical points, or her expression of ideas, in final products.

She, too, gravitates toward media where her imperfections are less evident to herself, I think-- photography and cake decorating are both fun for her, and she enjoys cross-stitching. (Less ambiguous, I think.) She also really likes to draw with a simple tablet and inexpensive computer software-- I think because she can instantly wipe away 'mistakes' and it's as though they never existed.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Michaela #133517 07/08/12 05:34 PM
    Scribing for one another, however, can be a healthy thing, I think.

What I mean by this is to use it as a game or activity where one person verbally describes and the other person 'interprets' with a drawing.

As long as you have a child who is willing to play along, I mean. Mine only very occasionally was.

Michaela #133518 07/08/12 05:38 PM
    U
    U
    noticed that if I 'scribed' for DD (which I did only briefly when she was quite little), I actually dampened her own willingness to do things herself-- because she was then comparing her ability with mine and noting that MY output was closer to her "vision" than her own

Yes--this is why I would never scribe.

Whiteboards can be really good if you want something even cheaper and easier than computer stuff.

Michaela #133521 07/08/12 05:55 PM
    D
    D
    Michaela, we found with our DS (2E AS) that he was unwilling to draw, ever, until he was taught.

We worked him through various kid drawing books as well as this series: http://www.exodusbooks.com/category.aspx?id=3539 It starts with simple shapes and gets very complex by the third book.

Now that he knows how to draw, he's plenty creative, and he cartoons regularly (and amusingly). But as in many areas with this kid, he had to know he could before he could.

DeeDee

Michaela #133522 07/08/12 06:06 PM
    Yes, that is precisely what our experience with DD was like. She's like that, too-- has to know how to do something before she's willing to try it out and see if she likes it. LOL.

Michaela #133524 07/08/12 06:59 PM
    OP Offline
    Haha! So, is there a place for "start with an oval?" What other methods have you seen and what types of situations did they work in?

I never meant to start scribing, but it seemed pretty natural to illustrate little books for him when he asked me to, and draw diagrammes to explain things (like, D'uh)... and the next thing I knew I realized he wasn't drawing at all, just asking me to draw things, wasn't building with legos, just telling me where to put stuff (That started from "here, take this appart," and "it won't stick") UGGGGGGGGG. So I don't want to stop drawing diagrams, or taking appart stuck legos, but, yeah, it's gotten utterly out of hand, and we've been reeling it back in rather tortuously. It's really not a problem, just a dumb parental goof.

My kid seems to have a lot in common with aspie kids to be a kid who is "definitly" not on the spectrum. But that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. I think he's really not.

Ok, thoughts, back inside the skull now, recess is over.

Michaela #133526 07/08/12 07:15 PM
    Well, my DD is also like an "anti-aspie" who also has a very large amount of commonality with ASD people, too.
    So I know what you mean. I think.
    wink

I definitely have seen "start with an oval" go into very good places that use children's imaginative skills as artists. "What could your oval be?" and "Can you picture (what the child asked to draw) in your oval? What else do you think that it needs?"

I've also seen it go in bad places... "No, that's really more of a squashed egg that looks like a rectangle..." or "Um, well, that's a great lake, but we are drawing a flying saucer with our ovals today..."

It just sort of depends on the circumstances.

Michaela #133659 07/09/12 08:18 PM
    O
    O
    I would suggest Ed Emberly books for little kids who can draw with simple shapes.

You could get Emberly themed books like halloween for inspiration and leave that on the kitchen island with some pencils and markers. You could do bubble letters - happy halloween on a long roll of paper and then add picture ideas from his books.

We do these banners for birthdays, seasons, ect. then hang it up.

Last edited by onthegomom; 07/09/12 08:19 PM.
    Michaela #133746 07/11/12 05:20 AM
    O
    O
    Here's another idea. Get a piece of burlap and some supplies like embrodery thread, plastic needle, buttons, feathers, shells, whatever. Start gluing and weaving in pieces an see if your child wants to do some. This is the type of creative project that we like, it's very open ended.

Putting together a set of recyclable for construction is great. As you get cool packaging, talk about what's interesting to you. Do you like the color? What could we make from this? Soon your child will come up to you and say let's save this for the construction box. This very open ended too.

Michaela #133797 07/11/12 02:40 PM
    OP Offline
    Hey, you guys, I'm talkin' about theory, here. I'm not short on ideas for projects, or source material, and I'm not looking for more open ended things to do.

My DS does not appear to respond well to open ended art experiences, and this challanges my assumptions. I'm interested in discussing those assumptions, and thinking about how to guess what types of teaching are best for whom.

oy.

HowlerKarma: I get where you're comming from, but that brings it back to the kind of art instruction *I* like... but that DS doesn't seem to do well on. When he's finished something (which is rare) we often discuss what it is, he is usually only willing to attribute fixed subject matter to MY stuff, not HIS. But his stuff can take on meaning for limited periods of time. A couple of days ago, he told me a particular pic was a triceratops, "but just untill tomorrow," and he really did decide it was something different the next day. He's also establishing a list of things he can draw, which is real wierd at his age. It includes elephants, which are quite recognisable, though impressionistic, always facing left, and which I never taught him to draw-by-numbers, and train tracks, which I did teach him to draw-by-numbers.

-Mich
    (sorry, guys, I'm just easily frustrated)

Michaela #133806 07/11/12 07:54 PM
    S
    S
    The things I used in Art when homeschooling were...

Monart: Drawing with Children

Programs such as Meet the Masters (Art history and producing art based on a example from a Master artist) http://www.meetthemasters.com/

and then just integrating studying art along with history.

Our most successful projects would have been more multimedia projects like when studying Muslim Mosaics to make a mosaic with construction paper.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM