Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by DMA
    We had ds14 tested at age 6 at the request of the school. He was not settling down well into the classroom and was behind in reading. We had a reputable psychologist test him all in 1 day with all the subtests of the WISC-4. He also was given some achievement testing. He did ok but did not test gifted at that time. I think that a full day of testing for my 6 year old was too much.

He sounds similar to my son... tested at 7 (at the request of the school), and the psychologist said that he should be retested in 2 years because the current results "do not accurately reflect his potential." He tested as having Expressive/Receptive language disorder and ADHD combined type, with a "solidly average" cognition level. She told us to take the results with a grain of salt; she could only get :45 mins of compliance out of him for each 2 hour session, etc etc, so the results, although they represented his level of functioning at testing time, were not accurate overall. Meanwhile a rep at SENG who I contacted said that it's not a good idea to test kids before the age of 8 (because prefrontal cortex developmental delays can interfere with testing performance).

Sigh. We had one time coverage, and now it's been used, on a test with "inaccurate results."

Oh well... life goes on...

Last edited by CCN; 07/07/12 10:52 AM.
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    Originally Posted by marytheres
    They had the audacity to make comments about it in the report - at how fatugues and antsy my son was becoming. Seriously? He's six!
    Although it might have been aggravating to see that in the report (and, trust me, I've seen some stuff written into my kids' reports that really ticked me off), I'd actually almost view it as a positive in this situation b/c it gives a good explanation for the reason the scores didn't come out where you'd expect them to be.

Agreed - I'd see those comments as a plus smile They support your case that he was too tired to test at his actual level.

Last edited by CCN; 07/07/12 10:58 AM.
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thank you ALL for your insights and advice!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM