Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 208 guests, and 7 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #131977 06/15/12 09:39 PM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    My 4-year-old has in the past week started using this ritualistic set of gestures...one hand slaps the other, some elaborate hand and finger maneuvers, each hand slaps the front of the head, then one hand to each ear, and then often starting all over again within the minute. When asked, she will tell you it has to do with "cleaning".

I'm not as freaked out as I otherwise would be, because I used to have quite a menu of these behaviors myself as a child. However, I don't know what it is (or even what to call it, for googling purposes), I don't know if it's related to the other sensitivity symptoms I've observed, and I'm not sure how to react to it (if at all).

Is it related to other behaviors associated with giftedness---the sensitivity to noise, temperature, and shoes/clothing? Dabrowski mentions nervous habits and tics (along with the sleeplessness and need for speed that she also clearly has). Or should I be looking outside of giftedness entirely: it could be mild OCD (I suspect this too runs in the family), or it could be a stress reaction (positive, but big changes in the past two months).

Should I back off on cleanliness a bit (asking her to wash her hands or noting that something is dirty)? Should I just ignore it? Should I advise her that it's okay at home but don't do it in front of others? Any advice is much appreciated. This is my first time posting here, so sorry for the long message!

E
    E
    I'm just seeing your question today. It would be helpful for you to challenge her to go a period of time without tbe movement (maybe 15 minutes) and see how she cope. Does she get anxious? Does she start the ritual unconciously? "Evening out" is a common concept with OCD (compelled to mirror actipns bilaterally). The sudden onset of severe OCD-like behavior warrents a trip to her doctor to rule out PANDAS (google this) or any other neurological issues.

M
    M
    I have always been careful to be more casual about anything that could be habit forming - from when we realised our first child would get visibly upset when he spilled something, at the age of 15 months.

It's okay to clean up later it really is. Now he is 5 and he is soo happy when he can clean up his own messes - but I still try keep it casual and relaxed. I think the key, as with so much around kids, is to let them take their cue from YOU. you can be the model to even out compulsive or obsessive behaviours around anything.

But the more you draw cognitive attention to it, the more aware she is likely to be of it.

Can you try distracting her when she starts the routine, like if it starts while you are walking in a shop, take her hand and hold it as you carry on walking?

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    B
    B
    Hi SpeedofMom,
    no need to apologize for a long post...have you seen some of ours (lol)?

I'd 2nd the red dye idea (this junk takes over my DD's brain it's awful) but also along that idea too, what types of soaps/hand sanitizers/household cleaning stuff do you use?

My DD hasn't had any of those types of behaviors at home, but this year when she came out of school she constantly wiped her mouth with the back of her hand over and over. She smells like chemicals. I suspect it's sensitivity to the clorox/lysol wipes stuff they use in school. I made sure she took a shower or a bath as soon as we got home and changed her clothes and within the hour she stopped. So I don't know if it's anxiety or the chemicals or a combination.

We'll be looking into the allergy/chemical sensitivity thing a bit more this summer with a naturopathic doctor because our "regular" peds don't have much to say about it. Avoidance is best of course but it's a big, chemically world out there.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Both my kids have had mild ticks - mostly throat clearing, burping, that sort of thing. They come and go. They've never been too severe, although my son's teachers mentioned his (my daughter's teachers never have). I've noticed they're associated with anxiety.

For instance, my son has a language processing disorder. In spite of this he can still read in English and French, although when he does, the burping and the throat clearing increase dramatically.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks everyone, I only just realized my post finally went through! Thanks for the welcome. I am very skeptical that it's PANDAS or a reaction to food/environment, because I did the same sort of thing as a child. It seems far more likely to me that it's the combination of going through a move (which entailed changing babysitters, and a range of other changes, including getting a dog) which goes to the emotional facet of Dabrowski's "supersensitivities in gifted children" ("problems adjusting to change") as well as the psychomotor facet ("nervous habits and tics"), which are all in addition to the many, many other qualities Dabrowski talked about and which I've observed. Her father and I have discussed and feel that she also needs more physical outlets for energy, so I've signed her up for a number of activities that I hope will mitigate this outpouring of nervous energy.

Anyway, it's comforting to hear others have experienced the same issues and have outgrown them (as I did). I'm trying to make sure there isn't something else I may have missed that she may need (for example, I didn't even think about providing her more physical activity until her father observed that the gestures would dissipate after a strong action).

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations