Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 335 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    My son had a similar issue - our psychologist couldn't calculate his IQ because the spread between his highest score and lowest score was so vast that it was consistent with only 7% of the population. sigh. IQ isn't everything, but it would have been nice...

Originally Posted by ABQMom
    He said there are significant auditory processing issues that come into play and that he "over thought" his answers and ended up getting several wrong because of giving too detailed of an answer (how are green and red the same? Answer they wanted - both are colors. My son? Both are on the light spectrum, blah, blah, blah). But that answer is wrong on the IQ test.
    The test results are invalid due to the neuropsych's obvious lack of expertise in testing gifted children. The discrepancy with prior testing is no mystery, regardless of the accuracy of those prior results.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    CCN - you know, I think I would have preferred to hear that we couldn't get a valid IQ rather than having an IQ on his report that is so far off the track. Did this mean you also were not able to get gifted services because of the spread?

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    He said there are significant auditory processing issues that come into play and that he "over thought" his answers and ended up getting several wrong because of giving too detailed of an answer (how are green and red the same? Answer they wanted - both are colors. My son? Both are on the light spectrum, blah, blah, blah). But that answer is wrong on the IQ test.
    The test results are invalid due to the neuropsych's obvious lack of expertise in testing gifted children. The discrepancy with prior testing is no mystery, regardless of the accuracy of those prior results.

I believe the same thing, lucounu, but I'm wondering if there is a way to file a complaint or protest with the insurance to request a second opinion since we can't afford right now to pay for testing on our own.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    ABQMom - Yes, unfortunately (and that is a going point... that no IQ score can be better than an invalid one - I hadn't thought of that).

So my son had no "gifted" IQ on record, and yet he can read/write /speak two languages even though his receptive language test score was an abysmal 0.5 (percentile). There are "typical" kids in his grade 2 French Immersion class who aren't reading any English yet (they start formal instruction in grade 3), and he reads English above grade level, as well as reading French (at a grade 1 level). Yet he's 0.5 in receptive language ability. Hmmm.

The district psychologist kept saying "that's interesting." Yes, yes it is.

Last edited by CCN; 06/27/12 06:22 AM.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Iucounu

I believe the same thing, lucounu, but I'm wondering if there is a way to file a complaint or protest with the insurance to request a second opinion since we can't afford right now to pay for testing on our own.
    Perhaps, but he wouldn't be able to take the same test again. Do you think that the SB would play to his strengths such that you could try that one if insurance would be willing to pay for a retest?

FWIW, I do believe that the RIAS is the only IQ test with which I am familiar that flat out tells the tester not to figure a FSIQ at all if there is huge score discrepancy. The WISC tells you that you should use caution in interpreting results, but not to avoid figuring the FSIQ all together. Both of my kids had huge spreads and still had GAIs and FSIQs figured despite scores that varied from 8-19 within one index or PRI and VCI indices that were hugely apart from one another.

Unfortunately, people who are likely to be using the results for figuring out your child's needs often don't know enough to realize what they are looking at when the scores come in wacky like that.

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks so much for the additional info, you all. I guess my trepidation is based in wondering what in the world I say in my request for a "second opinion" ...

This evaluator failed to provide additional support on questions that were correct but not the answer the test was looking for and failed to take into account the scatter in evaluating the validity of the score?

Any idea on how to complain?

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    So out of the blue, my son says, "You know, that psychiatrist didn't have a sense of humor at all."

My heart sunk, and I wondered what in the world he'd done that triggered that observation about the tester.

Seems that when the interview started, the tester asked him where he lived. My son said he knew the tester was looking at his sheet with all of his information so thought the question redundant. So, he decided to have fun with it. He told the tester he was living in an apartment in student housing across from the University. He said he told him what classes he was taking and who a couple of his professors were - all made up, of course. He said the psychiatrist never looked up until then and finally just raised his eyebrows and looked at him. My kiddo said that when he laughed and said, "Obviously not. It's on your file," the tester didn't smile or give any response.

Should I be concerned? Should I email the tester and address this or just wait for the report since I'm going to ask for a second opinion anyway?

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    We finally received the final report. I started a new thread with the scores here:
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/134573.html#Post134573

I know you have another thread now, but it is a shame to get what sounds like a 'dud' of a tester... keep moving forward.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM