Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 208 guests, and 7 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    The nicest one we had which mde DS feel great, he was reading the most recent chapter book in a series on the train, can't remember which one but clearly meant for someone much older, and there were much older kids across the train nudging and taking to their mom till finally she leaned over and asked what the title was and if it was a new one because her kids didn't recognize it and they wanted to read it. It was very inclusive rather than always being different. DS really enjoyed that.

Yes, I love it when things like that happen. It makes me feel like people are seeing children for who they really are, regardless of age or what they are "supposed" to be like.

absolutely! and i have noticed that DS responds accordingly. You treat him like some weird zoological exhibit he shuts down. Show interest while being impressed or not quizzing him and he will respond. thats the best part of time with his older cousins or being in a gifted school - much less of the you are strange vibe. Although, he is still really different from his peers in his class - and they know it too - but they are less strange about it than some of the other parents who oddly want to tell him, so and so thinks you are the smartest in the class - and so what, why does a 6 year need to hear that from an adult, and why is that the conversation at home that they are having. it might be organic, wow, look at what DS said in class today, but on the other hand sounds like the parent is grilling the kid for rankings!

DeHe

E
    E
    "Sex Addicts Double Life"....ROFL!

I don't remember when my son started reading the nutritional information on foods...but he totally ruins my indulgences.

My son started reading at 2. Between 2.5 and 3, he could read all the state names and recognize their shapes. The day I picked him up from his second day at a new preschool/daycare, the teacher exclaimed "he can read! You didn't tell me that!" I just laughed and said something like, "yeah, well he just taught himself. We are amazed too." smile

She was just gobsmacked that he was actually reading state names from the book they had (he loved reading license plate too at that age).

I get asked all the time how old he is because of all the signs and other stuff he reads when we are out.

Mom to 2 kiddos - DS 9 with SPD and visual processing issues and DD 6 who is NT
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM