Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    R
    R
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    And this was the honors dorm, with the intelligent people. There was true weirdness there. And then we had the aspies, too.

BTDT... nothing like having friends with florid manic-depressive episodes who can't or won't seek help since it may prevent them from keeping scholarships... My experience is that honors dorms are a huge warning flag. If the overall campus atmosphere is so anti-intellectual that they have to segregate the smart kids to provide a peer group then it isn't really a great place for gifted kids no matter how much money they are throwing at the problem. At my school the drop out/underachievement rate was an order of magnitude higher among the most elite scholarship recipients.

Originally Posted by raptor_dad
    BTDT... nothing like having friends with florid manic-depressive episodes who can't or won't seek help since it may prevent them from keeping scholarships...

It did provide job experience, since I now deal with manic-depressives and various other issues professionally.

"When did you last OD and end up in the psych ward?" is one of the questions I now lead with when I talk to the one person who I still maintain contact with from my college days.

I just wish that I had a copy of the DSM-IV on hand when I was in college.

Now that I understand the broad range of psychiatric disorders, I would be much better equipped to have a meaningful college experience.

Originally Posted by KJP
    Good to hear to it might be exaggerated. Unfortunately, from now on when I meet a male Dartmouth grad, I will probably always wonder if he has eaten a vomlet.

I had the exact same thought.

Val Offline
    I came upon this article about hazing at Dartmouth while surfing the web during lunch.

Brief excerpt:

Originally Posted by Former Dartmouth student
    We were guided into the back seat of a car and one of our future sisters commanded us to chug the alcoholic punch that had been pre-prepared for each of us in individual 64-ounce water bottles. Simultaneously, I was handed numerous vodka shots from the older sister sitting in the front seat. ...

After what couldn't have been more than a fifteen-minute drive, I was told to get out of the car. I did -- but then I lost all consciousness. To this day, I have no idea what happened that night.

I woke up the following morning in the Intensive Care Unit at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center. I wasn't alone. I later learned that three other girls had also been admitted, each having overdosed on alcohol due to hazing rituals. Two were fellow pledges, and one was pledging another sorority, Sigma Delta.

I had bruises and cuts all over my body, two of my teeth were broken and I was intubated and restrained. The doctor informed me that I had entered the hospital with a .399 blood alcohol content. I soon learned that a .4 BAC is coma and death.

So, she's lucky to be alive.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Val
    I came upon this article about hazing at Dartmouth while surfing the web during lunch.

Brief excerpt:

Originally Posted by Former Dartmouth student
    The doctor informed me that I had entered the hospital with a .399 blood alcohol content. I soon learned that a .4 BAC is coma and death.

So, she's lucky to be alive.

I hope she does not really believe that there is a "magic number" of 0.4 BAC that is deadly while a slightly lower level is non-lethal. It's more complicated than that.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Val Offline
    True; I left out the next part of her statement for that very reason.

But her overall points are valid. I think she did a good job of putting people's behavior in the context of group sociology.

K
    Kjj Offline
    K
    I wonder if it's not more frat/sorority behavior than Dartmouth behavior.

The worst offenses I heard about were always at the frats at my college.

The nastiest women I've ever met were from sororities.I think that the Greek culture seems to lure the "belonger sheep"/"controller wolves" in.

Independent thinkers need not apply, for the most part.

Loved the story about MIT and the pianos-it must make such a satisfying sound when it hits!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM