Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by 1111
    We are doing the WPPSI in a month with DS4.5 at the GDC in Denver. Should I expect an underestimate?
    A gifted kid at 4.5 might be ok, but at 5 or 6 a gifted kid is sure to bump into the ceiling. For example, it's my understanding that there is no part of the test that demonstrates if the kid is reading. I think a gifted kid who is not challenged at end of kindy stuff is pretty sure to hit the ceilings in a way that makes it hard to tell a 'Gifted' from a 'Highly or Profoundly Gifted' kid. I think that's why the DYS cutoffs are higher for WPPSI are 150 instead of 145.

But if Oil needs an IQ test to prove that her kid should say with her friends in school next year in stead of being held back, then it's totally worth spending the money, because it will likely give a good answer to the 'yes' or 'no' question. (I think Oil mentioned that her DD has the kind of personality that would be likely to show herself on an IQ test at this young age. It just won't be reliable to help tease out the answer of 'should Oil try to get her a skip on top of what she currently has.')

Hope that helps!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Oh I agree if you need it do it! I would only keep in mind the fluctuations and re test later if you don't believe it was an accurate representation of you child. The report can give a good indicator of if it is not representing the kiddo. My DS that had a bad WPPSI had a WJ abilities that show who he was better on paper at that time.

2 of my DC are the youngest in their class by 6 to 18 months. The age has been a nonissue. The lack of challenge and appropriate material has been the real issue.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM