Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 423 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Kristine G
    My dd was diagnosed wit ADHD at 21 yo and suffered through K-12 and college with the burdens of un-medicated ADHD -which were diagnosed as CAPD and dysgraphia--on meds all of the LD's disappear.All of the OE's disappear. It's not about the academics it's about a quality of life.

Kristine--thanks for posting the Kaufman quote; we've been trying to work out whether our DD8 has ADHD, Asperger's, ODD, and dysgraphia since getting that 'tentative' diagnosis earlier this year. May I ask what 'kind' of dysgraphia your daughter had? Our DD writes slowly but it looks okay when she's done--and I'm getting the impression that there are different kinds/causes/manifestations of dysgraphia that may be best addressed in different ways. I wonder if we tried ADHD medication (or a cup of coffee, a la James Webb) and it helped with 'all' of her symptoms whether we could narrow it down and say maybe she's 'just' gifted and ADHD, rather than all the other stuff? (BTW, the ODD is total BS--she just can't stand this particular teacher. So I know I can rule that one out. wink

N
    Nik Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Originally Posted by Kristine G
    My dd was diagnosed wit ADHD at 21 yo and suffered through K-12 and college with the burdens of un-medicated ADHD -which were diagnosed as CAPD and dysgraphia--on meds all of the LD's disappear.All of the OE's disappear. It's not about the academics it's about a quality of life.

My DD was also doing GREAT when the meds were working including turning in some written work on time and participating in class discussions, but she was at what our doc said was the maximum dose she would prescribe, and it quit working after only 3 months! (she was at 30mg Ritalin XR in the am and 20mg in the afternoon).

I am going to take her to a Psychiatrist now to see what they think, I am fearful of health implications of upping the dose if she was already at a very high dose and it didn't last that long.

I have decided to bite the bullet and pay for Neurofeedback therapy in addition to Counseling/CBT and meds - I am hopeful that the Psych can find a reasonable dose to get DD motivated and then with the therapy maybe she may be able to reduce the meds (according to the Neurotherapist, patients with ADHD require reduced meds or no meds after therapy). Here's hoping DD is one of the 75% that this is effective for!

E
    E
    Nik...

Hope you have great luck with your Psychologist. As for maxing out a dose on Ritalin XR - there are other stimulants or stim formilations to try: Adderall, Metadate, Vyvance, Focalin, Concerta etc. Most Psychs will try another med if a child is maxing out.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM