Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #130882 05/31/12 02:42 PM
    mnmom23 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Aargh! I just have to get this off my chest . . . .

So DS8 just got his report card from the end of third grade today and it was filled with "needs to focus" and "can do more but only does the minimum required" and yet more "needs to focus." The only area where he got good comments (although, admittedly, there were some areas with no comments) was in math, in which he is subject accelerated and got the highest marks possible. I've mentioned in passing to the teacher that it's hard for my DS to focus all day because he's easily capable of all the work without focusing, and she agreed with me! And, she knows that DS reads for a couple of hours at a time at home almost every night in books a couple years above grade level, so she knows he is perfectly able to focus when not surrounded by a bunch of unruly classmates. And the classroom is a bit unruly and I've repeatedly seen in person how quickly he finishes his work and how much time he wastes waiting for everyone else to do theirs. So why can't she hold off on the negative comments and just chalk it up to the fact that she didn't do a good job keeping him challenged?

And, thinking ahead, what am I supposed to do about next year? I and others have seen how he focuses when he's in a group but with challenging work (e.g., Sunday school, where he's with 5th-8th graders)? He's even finding the math acceleration to be too easy again, but he's grade-skipped already and we just can't see grade-skipping him again eventhough most of his friends are a year ahead of him in school (but at a private school) and everyone already thinks he's redshirted. I guess I'm just going to have to wait until the fall and have a pre-emptive please-challenge-my-child-or-he-won't-pay-attention talk with his new teacher. Fortunately and unfortunately I'm friends with his teacher for next year. We have a private school option, but to keep him from having to repeat 4th grade math we'd have to gradeskip him into a class of a ton of redshirted kids because the private school does not differentiate or subject accelerate.

Anyway, aargh!

She thought she could, so she did.
    mnmom23 #130888 05/31/12 04:29 PM
    mnmom23 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, cricket. It's just frustrating to have it on his report card. I really feel like we've gotten all the accommodations that we're going to from his school and that we can't yet move him to the private school because the situation wouldn't be any better, and I don't know how to go about getting him to fake paying attention. Nor am I sure he should *have* to fake his attention, since he's not disrupting anything or anyone while he's not paying attention. But I see all the things we worried about happening: he doesn't think of school as a place to learn things, he doesn't think of a teacher as someone who teaches him things, he has no clue what hard work looks like in an academic setting, and he has no natural desire to make anything other than math harder for himself than he has to. We try to put him in situations like sports and music where he does have to learn new things and practice, but it just doesn't help him during the 7 hours of school each day.

She thought she could, so she did.
    mnmom23 #130890 05/31/12 04:46 PM
    My dd's said "Have a nice summer" lol...did not even touch what she did well or what she did not. Not sure which is worse....

D
    D
    Originally Posted by master of none
    My DS also does the minimum.

Mine does too. But our darling 4th grade teacher actually really worked on this with him, telling him what she thought *his* best work would look like and encouraging him to get there. He has been developing some sense of pride in his product, some of the time.

I'm going to miss that teacher terribly.

DeeDee

mnmom23 #130897 05/31/12 06:44 PM
    P
    P
    My DS got something like that on his report card at the end of the year last year. It said something like "even though X is gifted and talented, he has to learn that he has to follow the rules just like everyone else." The teacher never even spoke with us during the 1/2 year he was in the class about any behavior issue and we were a large presence at the school. Plus it was a mid year skip so he was the youngest in the class.

I wrote the teacher a scathing email something along the lines of she needed to learn (even though she was not gifted and talented) to engage her students and that it was her responsibility to teach kids "the rules" and that maybe if she used some other behavior system other than public humiliation he would have "learned" something in her class.

Then . . . I sent the email to my husband.

DeeDee #130909 05/31/12 08:54 PM
    W
    W
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    He has been developing some sense of pride in his product, some of the time.

This is exactly what Wolf managed to earn a nice lecture on needing to do yesterday! Argh...

Percy #130915 05/31/12 09:29 PM
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by Deonne
    Then . . . I sent the email to my husband.

Love it!!!

mnmom23 #131027 06/01/12 02:51 PM
    My elementary school report cards were full of praise, and also negative comments about being too talkative, disruptive, etc. I told my DD about them, and that I don't expect anything different from her, because I know what she's going through. When they give her 30 minutes to complete an assignment that takes her 5 minutes, I don't expect her to be a zombie.

I didn't really care if my teachers felt the need to discipline me, because I got far worse at home. DD's a teacher pleaser, though, so I worry for her.

mnmom23 #131061 06/01/12 10:41 PM
    N
    N
    We have one of those! It wasn't on his report card, but that doesn't mean it's not true. I despair sometimes at the thought that he still doesn't know how to be a part of his class and how to work hard and study properly. But it's getting better, at least the being a part of class, and hopefully he'll be able to be in a real math class next year and that will help too.

I have my old report cards, and there were definitely some comments about being capable of better work and not completing assignments ( I believe that one said "oops" and my mother commented back, "what means 'oops'?" smile )

mnmom23 #131093 06/02/12 01:04 PM
    E
    E
    I once got a report card that said, in total, "Spring has sprung and Lizzie is dizzy." I don't sweat report card comments any more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM