Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 188 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Any good "pass the bean dip" rejoinders to share, if your child happened to be the type to obviously demonstrate his/her skill in public? DS4 is a loud and bemused reader of any and all public printed matter, including newspaper headlines, which is getting us attention. ("Did he just READ THAT??? CAN HE READ???") DD read later, so I don't remember this coming up.

With DD, who was a very early talker, we'd say, "Yes, she sure is a chatterbox!" and that seemed to be a good one. "Yes, he sure loves books!" is all I can think of, but it seems a bit disingenuous.

Fortunately, he is tall, and looks older than he is, so this is a problem with a rapidly approaching expiration date.

Last edited by ultramarina; 05/31/12 01:17 PM.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    "Yes, he sure loves books!" is all I can think of, but it seems a bit disingenous.

Fortunately, he is tall, and looks older than he is, so this is a problem with a rapidly approaching expiration date.

My younger DS gets this all the time. He's short, so it may go on for a while yet.

"Yes, he sure loves books" is about the best I ever came up with.

DeeDee

C
    C
    "Yes, but don't look at me, it's all him!" or "Yes, but don't ask me how he learned!" or just "Yes, he did" followed by "Search me" to practically any follow-up question. I think "Yes, he sure loves books" is also fine. Few people care, tbh - making clear that you aren't standing there wanting to be quizzed on it goes a long way, IME.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    The sorta sticky thing is that we did help him a little. We had Bob books around, and let him play on Starfall and watch World World, and sat down and helped him with an early reader occasionally. So I can't say---gee, no idea how he cracked the code! On the other hand, it was hardly a concerted effort. So I guess I can say, oh, we had some stuff around the house, if people ask. But then you get into that thing where people say, well, we have that stuff and MY kid can't read!

This is one of those awkward little developmental moments, I guess. Parents do focus on when they talk and when they read. Just looking for a line, if you will.

B
    B
    because when I was a kid, I was the late reader who worried everyone until 3rd grade when I finally really got it, when my DD was pointing to things and reading them loudly in public when she was little, I just used to laugh and say "she didn't get it from me!"

You could always shrug and raise your eyebrows like or "oh well!" or something to the effect that it's just everyday life for you.

Does that help? As you said it's an awkward time so it will pass, but it's also a fun cute time.

K
    K
    Ds read the directions on worksheets to the kids at his table at preschool, so all the kids, and many of their parents, knew he could read.

It gets better when other kids can read a little. When your dc starts talking about algebra or thermodynamics on the playground, you can just dismiss whatever he/she says by saying, "Oh, he/she must have read that somewhere," like you have no idea he/she is checking physic books out of the library.

B
    B
    We stick with the "he has always loved books" line too but it is tricky sometimes. Nearly gave my teacher brother a heart attack when he was reading to DS a high level book, stopped to blow his nose and DS continued. Oops - forgot to mention he could read...

I have a great answer because my kid used reading eggs. com so I have told people that and I've described the cuteness of the program and that it also taught him all the nursery rhymes- humpy dumpty, twinkle twinkle, row row row your boat. I know two others who use the program now, I should get a commission right?!

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    E
    E
    My DS5 has been a loud-in-public reader since he was two. It's easier now that he's older. Apparently he read outloud 'water evacuation system' printed on the side of a visiting fire truck last fall in preschool. I guess the firefighters got quite a kick out of that. I think my normal response is to smile sheepishly and say, "yep, that's what it says." Rinse and repeat if necessary.

E
    E
    I've been known to make "witty" kind of comments about it to just be able to get a chuckle and move on or at least loosen the "tension" a bit before having to answer any questions (as if there's a lot to really "explain" -- it's a kid...she can read...not sure what else you need to know). Something even like faking surprise MYSELF with the words, "Hey! When did you learn how to do THAT!" or "Well, we've been telling our kids since the day they were born that they'd better be prepared to take care of US someday, so I guess she just decided to get a head-start on a decent job!" or "Her grandparents all claim she takes just after them!" or just whatever sarcastic (though in a "nice" tone) thing pops into my head. I'm a pretty quick-wit just as a part of my own personality, so this comes more natural to me than being, like, HONEST and all of that. :-)

Since we are on funnies.

At Mr W's last pediatric checkup when he was just 4, the DR had him read the eye chart. She asked him if he knew his letters and he said he did so she had him read them.

"Wow, he knows his letters! He will be learning to read soon."

Mr W pipes up, "Mommy! The sign say I have to stand ten feet away. I don't think I am standing ten feet back from the sign. I think I have to retake the test!"

B
    B
    When DD went to her ped appt in Nov and we were discussing possible 2E, bad fit in school the ped (a new one) had the usual sighing/etc. as to say "yes everyone thinks their kid is exceptional"

So for the coordination issue, she was looking for a code to start OT. The ped started reading through a list of ICD-9 codes on her laptop. DD comes dashing over and crowds her, and starts reading all the medical terms, with perfect pronounciation.

The ped almost fell over on the floor, then laughed and started talking to and joking with DD about them all.

So, ped softened up and came around.

Still don't know how this reading thing fits in to the possible 2Es, but waiting for test scoring this week.

DS8 read early and would sometimes read outloud in public, but he also happens to be quite tall (95-98th percentile for height) so people usually assume he's older than he is. Right now he's the same height as his cousin who's a year and a half older, and about 4-5inches taller than another cousin who's 9 months older than him. People that get to know him do often remark on how smart/funny/quick he is, and I just take it as a compliment and say 'Thank you.'

~amy
    Austin, that's hilarious! Love it.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Her grandparents all claim she takes just after them!

I kinda like this one!

Austin, that story is hilarious and sounds just like something DS would do. Like his sister, he can be a bit literal-minded.

At DD's 1-year WCV she was reading the letters off the manufacturer's label on the examining table. The ped said rather calmly, "You'll probably need to homeschool this one." At the time I was freaked out and sort of angry. It hasn't come true....yet...

When DD was 3-4, she'd regularly come to me with questions, and I'd sit her in my lap at the computer, pull up some visuals, and explain what I knew. She'd keep coming back with the same question until she was pretty sure she'd exhausted everything I knew about the subject. One of those subjects was, "What happens to food when you eat it?"

DD had just turned 4, and she had a pediatric appointment at which she'd already impressed with her abilities, but it was on the way out the door in which the doc was left speechless. DD stopped to regard a particular poster, and said, "Look, Mom! Small intestine, large intestine, pppppbbbbblllttt!"

Great stories. We were always just matter-of-fact. The thing that always worried me the most was whether DS would turn into an intentional show-off; I was never personally uncomfortable with curious questions from complete strangers, except that I didn't want to make other parents feel bad about their own children. I was always worried most around local parents, but usually would duck and run if the conversation turned to why he was getting special accommodations, instead of innocent questions about his behavior or abilities as demonstrated on the spot. Now that he's older such situations don't crop up as often.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    So far DS seems to not have the kind of personality that makes for a show-off. He is very at ease with himself, and also just incredibly innocent. He has no idea that it's odd to be able to read like he does.

I used to worry about DD, but she seems to have gone the other direction and talks herself down instead (other side of the same coin, though, in a way--but I think she only does this with us; around others she seems just fine, really).

Originally Posted by Dude
    One of those subjects was, "What happens to food when you eat it?"

When Mr W was 2, and potty training, his preferred drink was Fanta Orange soda.

We are in the checkout line at the Stop and Rob with our Orange Sodas, and he looks at me and says out loud, "Daddy, where does the orange go?"

B
    B
    DS(4) at his eye check was asked to look at the lowest line and say what it was(animals). He said "the lowest line says made in China" (which it did in tiny writing at the bottom of the chart.
    There is digestive system passion in our house too!

K
    K
    Like others, I try to be self-deprecating. "Oh, I wish I could take credit for it."

Funny DS4 story...sitting in the waiting room at the vet with Dad while I was with the cat in the examination room. He picks up a book from the book basket...Cockatiels. He opens it randomly, and happens to land on the "reproduction" page. Then, as DH tells it: "Proceeds to read it, loudly and clearly, with perfect pronunciation and fluency." At that point the staff member behind the desk remembers the "toy basket" for well-behaved children to pick from on their way out. She quickly hands it to DS and encourages him to pick one!

Originally Posted by bobbie
    DS(4) at his eye check was asked to look at the lowest line and say what it was(animals). He said "the lowest line says made in China" (which it did in tiny writing at the bottom of the chart.
    There is digestive system passion in our house too!

love it smile

oh the joys of early readers....I think there was only one place my dd (now 9 but at the time 2 or under) I was actually embarrassed when she would read and that was when we were grocery shopping. She would be sitting in the cart calling out the items she would like mommy to buy for her in much detail (almost like a commercial) and of course it was all junk food. So if you didn't realize she was reading the boxes an on looker would think we were junk food junkies feeding our babies this stuff,lol

E
    E
    Skylarsmommy...

Your grocery store story reminded me of the time my then 3 year old DS informed me that "all shoplifters will be prosecuted", (per the sign he just read). He kept repeating it LOUDLY as I shopped, as if I actually had been stealing.

N
    N
    Oh yes, DS read everything that was in front of him from the time he was 2! I just nodded and said "uh huh" and "that's right" a lot, and when people commented, I would say "oh yeah, he's a nut" or something along those lines. When the kid is reading the U-Haul contract to the rental agent (at 2 1/2), or all the signs in the gas station, or the posters in the doctor's office, it's really pretty obvious that he's reading -- so "did he just READ that?" is a nonsensical question.

With DS being 2E, we've always had something he WASN'T doing to fall back on if there was a need to be self- or kid-deprecating about it -- "Yeah, but he still can't tie his shoes" or (still at 9) "Yeah, but he can't ride a bicycle yet". That lets "those" moms keep their snootiness. Their kids are perfectly happy to point out those areas of interest, anyway.

Those are awesome! Glad to know that my DS isn't the only one to give his pedi a heart attack! smile At four he got mad at his pedi for putting the stethoscope up to his back, telling the Dr. "My heart isn't back there. It's right here in my left chest. It says 'boom boom' and squeezes blood all over my body." Dr. explained that he was trying to listen to his lungs and DS looked at him quizzically and said, "Oh, my lungs go all the way back there too..."

By his five year check up he would only answer the doctor's question if the doctor answered one of his "Which organ filters toxins out of the blood in your body and produces bile?" "What valve protects your esophagus from the gastric acid in your stomach? "What is the wave-like motion in your esophagus called?" I think the poor doc was exhausted by the time he was done wink

As far as the original question- I usually just answer honestly. If they ask if he is "actually reading that"? I tell them yes, he is. If they ask any further I try to keep it short and say something along the lines of "He's always loved words and started reading early." I try not to be apologetic for it or to make it a huge deal as I don't want DS to think it is either. He started reading a month or so before turning three and that year his favorite pastime at his big brother's wrestling tournaments was to go around reading all of the fliers for the various wrestling camps posted everywhere.

So far DS seems to not have the kind of personality that makes for a show-off. He is very at ease with himself, and also just incredibly innocent. He has no idea that it's odd to be able to read like he does.

He will figure it out and that's when it gets interesting. I think DS was 4 to 4.5 when he really became aware - at one point he asked why people keep asking his age - the he's how old comments. DS mostly ignored the comments but you could tell when he had a gut response to the individual, some he would ignore, some he would engage andseeme he would get snarky, which was rare. He can be a bit of a performer when the mood strikes but I think the issues he had with the prek kids made him very leery of responding to these kinds of comments. Now at 6 we get the - what did he just say looks - but people interrupt less and ask the questions less. I think it's the combination of the babyness and the intelligence that gets people nosy.

The nicest one we had which mde DS feel great, he was reading the most recent chapter book in a series on the train, can't remember which one but clearly meant for someone much older, and there were much older kids across the train nudging and taking to their mom till finally she leaned over and asked what the title was and if it was a new one because her kids didn't recognize it and they wanted to read it. It was very inclusive rather than always being different. DS really enjoyed that.

DeHe

Originally Posted by vwmommy
    his favorite pastime at his big brother's wrestling tournaments was to go around reading all of the fliers for the various wrestling camps posted everywhere.

LOL.

DD7 started collecting every free flier, brochure, and business card she saw at around that age. She still does it. Momma cleans out the collection from time to time, and DD never takes it well.

She particularly likes to get applications, so she can fill them in.

She had a phase around 4-5 where she kept handing us scribbled pieces of paper and declaring, "You HAVE to sign this. This is a contract." When she was 5 we were sitting at a car dealer in the "we're going to eavesdrop on you while I pretend I'm talking to the manager" phase of the deal. With some time to kill, I pulled off a credit app and told DD, "You know what this is? This is a contract."

Her eyes lit up, and we helped her fill it out. She worked at Walmart as a cashier, and lived in a box, for which she paid $6k a month in rent.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    The nicest one we had which mde DS feel great, he was reading the most recent chapter book in a series on the train, can't remember which one but clearly meant for someone much older, and there were much older kids across the train nudging and taking to their mom till finally she leaned over and asked what the title was and if it was a new one because her kids didn't recognize it and they wanted to read it. It was very inclusive rather than always being different. DS really enjoyed that.

Yes, I love it when things like that happen. It makes me feel like people are seeing children for who they really are, regardless of age or what they are "supposed" to be like.

B
    Bee Offline
    B
    Early reading on the most part caused embarrassment in our family. My 4 year old came with me to OB visits and read the IUD literature in the room. Imagine trying to explain IUDs to four year old as the Dr comes in. My second son (at almost three) wanted to know what "all nude, all of the time" and "gentleman's club" meant. Another wonderful discussion that I would have rather put off but one that proved he knew how to read and wasn't just guessing based on previous readings or context clues.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    I think I have mentioned this story here before, but when DD went on her first plane flight after learning to read she read all the signage on the plane in loud tones of disbelief. I'm sure that was comforting to any fearful flyers nearby. ("Seat cushion can be used as a FLOTATION DEVICE????!")

Yes, I love it when things like that happen. It makes me feel like people are seeing children for who they really are, regardless of age or what they are "supposed" to be like.

absolutely! and i have noticed that DS responds accordingly. You treat him like some weird zoological exhibit he shuts down. Show interest while being impressed or not quizzing him and he will respond. thats the best part of time with his older cousins or being in a gifted school - much less of the you are strange vibe. Although, he is still really different from his peers in his class - and they know it too - but they are less strange about it than some of the other parents who oddly want to tell him, so and so thinks you are the smartest in the class - and so what, why does a 6 year need to hear that from an adult, and why is that the conversation at home that they are having. it might be organic, wow, look at what DS said in class today, but on the other hand sounds like the parent is grilling the kid for rankings!

DeHe

E
    E
    "Sex Addicts Double Life"....ROFL!

I don't remember when my son started reading the nutritional information on foods...but he totally ruins my indulgences.

My son started reading at 2. Between 2.5 and 3, he could read all the state names and recognize their shapes. The day I picked him up from his second day at a new preschool/daycare, the teacher exclaimed "he can read! You didn't tell me that!" I just laughed and said something like, "yeah, well he just taught himself. We are amazed too." smile

She was just gobsmacked that he was actually reading state names from the book they had (he loved reading license plate too at that age).

I get asked all the time how old he is because of all the signs and other stuff he reads when we are out.

Mom to 2 kiddos - DS 9 with SPD and visual processing issues and DD 6 who is NT
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM