Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Since we are on funnies.

At Mr W's last pediatric checkup when he was just 4, the DR had him read the eye chart. She asked him if he knew his letters and he said he did so she had him read them.

"Wow, he knows his letters! He will be learning to read soon."

Mr W pipes up, "Mommy! The sign say I have to stand ten feet away. I don't think I am standing ten feet back from the sign. I think I have to retake the test!"

B
    B
    When DD went to her ped appt in Nov and we were discussing possible 2E, bad fit in school the ped (a new one) had the usual sighing/etc. as to say "yes everyone thinks their kid is exceptional"

So for the coordination issue, she was looking for a code to start OT. The ped started reading through a list of ICD-9 codes on her laptop. DD comes dashing over and crowds her, and starts reading all the medical terms, with perfect pronounciation.

The ped almost fell over on the floor, then laughed and started talking to and joking with DD about them all.

So, ped softened up and came around.

Still don't know how this reading thing fits in to the possible 2Es, but waiting for test scoring this week.

DS8 read early and would sometimes read outloud in public, but he also happens to be quite tall (95-98th percentile for height) so people usually assume he's older than he is. Right now he's the same height as his cousin who's a year and a half older, and about 4-5inches taller than another cousin who's 9 months older than him. People that get to know him do often remark on how smart/funny/quick he is, and I just take it as a compliment and say 'Thank you.'

~amy
    Austin, that's hilarious! Love it.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Her grandparents all claim she takes just after them!

I kinda like this one!

Austin, that story is hilarious and sounds just like something DS would do. Like his sister, he can be a bit literal-minded.

At DD's 1-year WCV she was reading the letters off the manufacturer's label on the examining table. The ped said rather calmly, "You'll probably need to homeschool this one." At the time I was freaked out and sort of angry. It hasn't come true....yet...

When DD was 3-4, she'd regularly come to me with questions, and I'd sit her in my lap at the computer, pull up some visuals, and explain what I knew. She'd keep coming back with the same question until she was pretty sure she'd exhausted everything I knew about the subject. One of those subjects was, "What happens to food when you eat it?"

DD had just turned 4, and she had a pediatric appointment at which she'd already impressed with her abilities, but it was on the way out the door in which the doc was left speechless. DD stopped to regard a particular poster, and said, "Look, Mom! Small intestine, large intestine, pppppbbbbblllttt!"

Great stories. We were always just matter-of-fact. The thing that always worried me the most was whether DS would turn into an intentional show-off; I was never personally uncomfortable with curious questions from complete strangers, except that I didn't want to make other parents feel bad about their own children. I was always worried most around local parents, but usually would duck and run if the conversation turned to why he was getting special accommodations, instead of innocent questions about his behavior or abilities as demonstrated on the spot. Now that he's older such situations don't crop up as often.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    So far DS seems to not have the kind of personality that makes for a show-off. He is very at ease with himself, and also just incredibly innocent. He has no idea that it's odd to be able to read like he does.

I used to worry about DD, but she seems to have gone the other direction and talks herself down instead (other side of the same coin, though, in a way--but I think she only does this with us; around others she seems just fine, really).

Originally Posted by Dude
    One of those subjects was, "What happens to food when you eat it?"

When Mr W was 2, and potty training, his preferred drink was Fanta Orange soda.

We are in the checkout line at the Stop and Rob with our Orange Sodas, and he looks at me and says out loud, "Daddy, where does the orange go?"

B
    B
    DS(4) at his eye check was asked to look at the lowest line and say what it was(animals). He said "the lowest line says made in China" (which it did in tiny writing at the bottom of the chart.
    There is digestive system passion in our house too!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM