Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 188 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Any good "pass the bean dip" rejoinders to share, if your child happened to be the type to obviously demonstrate his/her skill in public? DS4 is a loud and bemused reader of any and all public printed matter, including newspaper headlines, which is getting us attention. ("Did he just READ THAT??? CAN HE READ???") DD read later, so I don't remember this coming up.

With DD, who was a very early talker, we'd say, "Yes, she sure is a chatterbox!" and that seemed to be a good one. "Yes, he sure loves books!" is all I can think of, but it seems a bit disingenuous.

Fortunately, he is tall, and looks older than he is, so this is a problem with a rapidly approaching expiration date.

Last edited by ultramarina; 05/31/12 01:17 PM.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    "Yes, he sure loves books!" is all I can think of, but it seems a bit disingenous.

Fortunately, he is tall, and looks older than he is, so this is a problem with a rapidly approaching expiration date.

My younger DS gets this all the time. He's short, so it may go on for a while yet.

"Yes, he sure loves books" is about the best I ever came up with.

DeeDee

C
    C
    "Yes, but don't look at me, it's all him!" or "Yes, but don't ask me how he learned!" or just "Yes, he did" followed by "Search me" to practically any follow-up question. I think "Yes, he sure loves books" is also fine. Few people care, tbh - making clear that you aren't standing there wanting to be quizzed on it goes a long way, IME.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    The sorta sticky thing is that we did help him a little. We had Bob books around, and let him play on Starfall and watch World World, and sat down and helped him with an early reader occasionally. So I can't say---gee, no idea how he cracked the code! On the other hand, it was hardly a concerted effort. So I guess I can say, oh, we had some stuff around the house, if people ask. But then you get into that thing where people say, well, we have that stuff and MY kid can't read!

This is one of those awkward little developmental moments, I guess. Parents do focus on when they talk and when they read. Just looking for a line, if you will.

B
    B
    because when I was a kid, I was the late reader who worried everyone until 3rd grade when I finally really got it, when my DD was pointing to things and reading them loudly in public when she was little, I just used to laugh and say "she didn't get it from me!"

You could always shrug and raise your eyebrows like or "oh well!" or something to the effect that it's just everyday life for you.

Does that help? As you said it's an awkward time so it will pass, but it's also a fun cute time.

K
    K
    Ds read the directions on worksheets to the kids at his table at preschool, so all the kids, and many of their parents, knew he could read.

It gets better when other kids can read a little. When your dc starts talking about algebra or thermodynamics on the playground, you can just dismiss whatever he/she says by saying, "Oh, he/she must have read that somewhere," like you have no idea he/she is checking physic books out of the library.

B
    B
    We stick with the "he has always loved books" line too but it is tricky sometimes. Nearly gave my teacher brother a heart attack when he was reading to DS a high level book, stopped to blow his nose and DS continued. Oops - forgot to mention he could read...

I have a great answer because my kid used reading eggs. com so I have told people that and I've described the cuteness of the program and that it also taught him all the nursery rhymes- humpy dumpty, twinkle twinkle, row row row your boat. I know two others who use the program now, I should get a commission right?!

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    E
    E
    My DS5 has been a loud-in-public reader since he was two. It's easier now that he's older. Apparently he read outloud 'water evacuation system' printed on the side of a visiting fire truck last fall in preschool. I guess the firefighters got quite a kick out of that. I think my normal response is to smile sheepishly and say, "yep, that's what it says." Rinse and repeat if necessary.

E
    E
    I've been known to make "witty" kind of comments about it to just be able to get a chuckle and move on or at least loosen the "tension" a bit before having to answer any questions (as if there's a lot to really "explain" -- it's a kid...she can read...not sure what else you need to know). Something even like faking surprise MYSELF with the words, "Hey! When did you learn how to do THAT!" or "Well, we've been telling our kids since the day they were born that they'd better be prepared to take care of US someday, so I guess she just decided to get a head-start on a decent job!" or "Her grandparents all claim she takes just after them!" or just whatever sarcastic (though in a "nice" tone) thing pops into my head. I'm a pretty quick-wit just as a part of my own personality, so this comes more natural to me than being, like, HONEST and all of that. :-)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM