Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jaystormrage), 108 guests, and 42 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by intparent
    The third book of the Hunger Games series is quite dark. I personally (as an adult) was so dismayed by the ending of the third book that I won't go see the movies. My kids are teens, so no issues with them reading them, but I might think twice before giving them to a tween because of that third book.
    I thought that all of them were rather dark. My kids' biggest issue with the third book, and I tend to agree, is that it didn't end in a satisfying way (say the way the HP series did) and the author tended to change/develop the characters' core personalities in a way that didn't seem totally believable (Katniss especially). I can certainly see the types of things that go on in those books modifying one's world view, but it seemed like the main character become someone she wasn't likely to be.

Sorry for the derail and I'm sure that not everyone will agree with me.

I wanted to mention that DS has really enjoyed some William Sleator books lately. The Lexile scores are not terrifically high, generally in the 700s to 800s with a few higher or lower, but they seem to be well-constructed stories and he loves them. Ones he's liked:

The Green Futures of Tycho
    Interstellar Pig
    Singularity
    House of Stairs

Anyone else discover these?

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    N
    N
    I just wanted to add a couple of books I have discovered:

Michael Reisman's "Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper" and "Simon Bloom, The Octopus Effect" are really terrific Junior Fiction SF books. Highly recommended for the scientific-minded! Science as magic, three 11-yr-old kids take on some evil grownups with really awesome physics and biology powers gained from the "Teacher's Editions" of physics and biology (one in each book) and save the world.

DS just started the gravity keeper - haven't gotten his review yet, but I thought it looked good too. Same vein as the george and the secret key books

DeHe

Originally Posted by Iucounu
    I wanted to mention that DS has really enjoyed some William Sleator books lately. The Lexile scores are not terrifically high, generally in the 700s to 800s with a few higher or lower, but they seem to be well-constructed stories and he loves them. Ones he's liked:

The Green Futures of Tycho
    Interstellar Pig
    Singularity
    House of Stairs

Anyone else discover these?

No! These look great. Hopefully the library has them, but they look intersting enough to buy. He goes through fiction as such an alarming rate, I try to save the purchasing for stuff that DS will go back to, so I usually want to try it first, but sometimes it's clear from the description it's worth it!

DeHe

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs