Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 358 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #12828 04/01/08 05:51 AM
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Grinity, I read your response to eema:

My son also used to have the 'easily frustrated' issue - I call it the Goldilocks Dilemma - everything was 'too hard' or 'too easy' - it's tricky but progress can be made.
    We're making progress, but I'd love to know you what you and others have done so that we can continue to learn from your experiences.

On our end, we gave DS a very thorough educational evaluation which pointed out where he needed help. Those areas of weakness have improved tremendously (he's now reading and writing, somewhat voluntarily). Still, the damage has been done. I'm wondering how to improve his motivation for the more routine schoolwork. For example, he hates workbooks. Turns out that last year in private school, he had 12 workbooks and that's all they did. This year, in public school, they give worksheets, and barely require any volume at all (a writing assignment in second grade might be one or two sentences, last year he had to write a page and a half). I thought I might interest him in a science workbook, but so far he's refused (despite his strong interest in the subject).

To get him to try anything that looks hard takes a lot of effort on my part. Yesterday, when he was home sick, we read the first couple of pages of Penrose the Mathematical Cat about the binary system. He has been asking me to read it to him. When I asked him to try to write some numbers, he clearly did not want to, and barely made an effort. Then, when I showed him how to line up the numbers and figure out the "code," he was writing our ages and street address in 1's and 0's and laughing.

I now see his biggest issue as the motivational factor. So please tell me, how do we get over the hump?

A
    A
    Oooh, questions, good thread! I'm going to lurk and see what help I can get for my DD6 in this area!

The only thing I can add that might be helpful is that you might want to check out www.electrowiz.com for science stuff. I've heard good things about it, and I'm going to try it out myself for the summer. Apparently the books and kits are well packaged and interesting for the kids.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thank you, AmyEJ! I'll check it out.

E
    E
    Questions,
    I'll be waiting to hear the responses too. I think this is the biggest challenge we face with our son right now. If he is motivated, he does well until it come to writing assignments. No matter how strong his interest, he will not complete writing assignments without lots of tears. His content certainly suffers as well.

I've been thinking how to best answer this. Generally we used a splatter approach, trying many different things.

Teaching or encouraging learning of touchtyping is one of my central beliefs.

Setting up your home so that all the 'human desires' are satisfied, but all the 'commerically induced desires' are only indulged on birthday and the major holiday give you the chance to have some goals for the child to work toward during the year.

Finding true peers.

Encouraging the strengths.

Paying attention to the 'work ethic' behaviors and ignoring the tantrums that were needed to get there. That 'supported push' is going to be a noisy process.

Short jaunts can produce amazing results a year later, these kids have very long memories.

Finially, in our case, getting him one year closer to age appropriate work in school was totally helpful.

I'll post more specifics as I can remember them.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity wrote:
    Setting up your home so that all the 'human desires' are satisfied, but all the 'commerically induced desires' are only indulged on birthday and the major holiday give you the chance to have some goals for the child to work toward during the year.

Can you be more specific? Examples would be appreciated, especially as to the "human desires"?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations