Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    R
    rachsr Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    We were referred to our neuropscyh by our pediatrician, and our insurance did cover most of the cost (not all insurance policies do - but there is a chance it might!). What I would tell your ped is this:

"He has been frustrated with school work this year and has had complaints that he takes too long to complete his work."

Show the ped the testing you have, and the discrepancies, and explain that since your ds was being tested for gifted only, the psych doing the testing didn't have any explanations for you re the discrepancies, and that since the testing you've researched and found that those discrepancies may be playing a part in your ds' frustration with schoolwork.

Also let your ped know about any other concerns such as lack of organization in daily life or delays in motor skills or anything else you can think of. BUT - don't worry about over thinking how to convince your ped - just letting him know that your ds is frustrated with schoolwork combined with the score discrepancies is enough to warrant a neuropsych referral.

polarbear

Thanks for the tips polarbear. You read my mind and answered the questions I had about talking to the ped. :-)

R
    rachsr Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    Those look like comfortably MG scores to me with the two outliers being the 8 and the 18. Two scores that fall outside the range of typical aren't major cause for concern, though.
    great I hope that is all it is :-)
    Speed doesn't appear to have impacted him on block design terribly either although I would leave room for the assumption that the block design test is a bit of a low ball for him.
    Would you mind explaining the last bit?

C
    C
    Originally Posted by rachsr
    Those look like comfortably MG scores to me with the two outliers being the 8 and the 18. Two scores that fall outside the range of typical aren't major cause for concern, though.
    great I hope that is all it is :-)
    Take my opinion with a grain of salt, though, in that my kids' scores within tests like PRI and VCI looked more like 8, 19, 17 so I've got a bit of skewed concept of what looks "okay" wink. None the less, the last psych we saw re dd11 had some expertise in gifted kids and felt that "typical" MG scores tended to cluster around 13-14 for the most part with a few outliers being "normal."
    Originally Posted by rachsr
    Speed doesn't appear to have impacted him on block design terribly either although I would leave room for the assumption that the block design test is a bit of a low ball for him.
    Would you mind explaining the last bit?
    Sure. Block design is the one timed test on the PRI index. You get bonus points for completing the designs quickly. If he has motor issues such as dysgraphia, it could have impacted how quickly he put the blocks together so it could be a low ball estimate.

I'd look at it one of two ways:

Either the 14 on block design is about accurate for him and, again, indicative of a MG child. It lines up with the 15 in the PRI index and close enough to the 13s in the VCI.

-Or-

The 15 was the outlier of a low score on PRI and the 14 on block design is inaccurately low due to fine motor skill issues and should actually have been closer to that 18.

FWIW, my one dd with slower processing speed had an 8 on block design and something like an 8 and a 10 or two 9s or something around there on the PSI index. Her other two PRI scores were, if I recall correctly, 17 and a 19 that would have gone up to around a 23 with extended norms. That made it evident that the block design clearly didn't fall in line with her other PRI scores (or her VCI scores for that matter) and was definitely impacted by something related to speed.

In your ds' instance, it could go either way.

P
    P
    rachsr, the Block design subtest is timed (most WISC subtests aren't, except Block Design and the Processing Speed subtests). So for a child with potentially relatively low processing speed (coding score) the Block Design score might also be impacted. OTOH that depends on why Coding is low - my dd's low score is Coding, but he hit the ceiling on Block Design. Coding requires a child to make marks with a pencil, Block Design requires the child to manipulate blocks to repeat a pattern - so in my ds' case, the low Coding score is due to a fine motor disability that impacts his ability to produce handwriting, but doesn't impact his ability to do other tasks with his hands such as moving blocks around.

Note: I'm relying on my memory re what the tests include - so my apologies if I've remembered them incorrectly in any way!

polarbear

eta - I was posting at the same time as Cricket - who explained it much more clearly!

Last edited by polarbear; 05/22/12 08:50 AM.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    eta - I was posting at the same time as Cricket - who explained it much more clearly!
    Nah, I was going to say the same about you! It is actually interesting to hear that fine motor delays didn't impact the block design test for your ds. That adds another interesting bit of info smile.

It's a bit of a mind-blow to blink and have the whole world transform in that moment. I recommend chocolate or favorite reward of choice.

Babysteps is absolutely the way to go! Keep us posted
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    R
    rachsr Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Thanks Polarbear and Cricket2 - twice the explanation is always good for me :-)

Grinity - pool time and video games should work as reward for DS. Oh well let us see where this journey takes us:-)
    Thanks everyone for all the helpful information posted. I am so glad I posted my query here.

Originally Posted by Grinity
    It's a bit of a mind-blow to blink and have the whole world transform in that moment. I recommend chocolate
    Grinity
    The chocolate is for you dear! As the airlines say...put on your own oxygen mask first.

If you've been using rewards all along then I love the book 'Dont shoot the Dog'

but if your son isn't used to them, then I would recommend reading my very favorite parenting book before you start them...'Transforming the Difficult Child Workbook' by Lisa Bravo. (Yup the workbook covers the book fully and more concisely) They use reward systems very effectively but with a few twists.

Smiles
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    R
    rachsr Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    The chocolate is for you dear! As the airlines say...put on your own oxygen mask first.

ROFL I would love that. I got the books on Amazon today. Thanks Grinity

R
    rachsr Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Just wanted to give an update since you were so helpful to us.
    We got DS9 talk to another psychologist and after a couple of sessions was diagnosed with mild ADHD Inattentive type along with anxiety issues. He said this was amplified by lack of interest or anxiety.
    He did not recommend medications at this time. His fine motor skills was average nothing to worry about. They did a lot of different tests for the processing speed and the diagnosis was that it was low average. The Dr. Said the results were skewed because of Ds refusing to take risks to answer questions - meaning he would answer only if he was sure of the answer. So most of the questions he answered were right but he answered too few I the given amount of time.

So I am not sure if this testing gave us any new perspective but at least it ruled out any other disorders. DS is currently in a new school seems happy except in Math which he says is a repetition of what he knows. Likes working with his math tutor twice a week. Loving martial arts and got into the Lego FLL club at school. So far 3 weeks into school has been good.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM