Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    J
    J
    I definitely do think you can improve processing speed with time and practice. The brain is so plastic that it is difficult to imagine that you can't.
    My son at age 6 had a roughly 45 point spread between his PSI and other scores. We have done piano, competitive swimming, and lots of flashcards. He has written into his IEP (which is for hearing loss) that he can have extended time on tests, but he has never used it.
    Flash forward 3 years- is he the fastest kid? No. It still lags other things. BUT- with alot of work and practice, he can complete timed tests appropriately (OLSAT, STAR test, SCAT for CTY). I do think he will have trouble competing at high level math competitions if speed is an important factor.
    so... practice, practice, practice.

M
    M
    My eldest DD's PSI declined from 7.5yrs to 10yrs. On paper. I think at 7 she just did the test as fast as she could and didn't care about neatness etc. Or possibly even accuracy. At 10 she had perfectionism and anxiety in the mix too. She had OT assessments at a similar times as well, and her handwriting improved on all measures (against age peers both times). Which is to say that at 7.5yrs her handwriting was below average in all measures and by 10yrs it was above average for neatness and marginally above average for speed. She's still not fast, but she's not that bad and her writing is very legible and fairly appropriately sized. I personally don't think her actual processing speed is any worse than it was, it might be better, but given that she has ADHD-I I am not going to complain about a low score qualifying her for extra time.

I think that the WISC PSI subtest are very easily skewed by personality and can pick up such a wide range of issues that it is really hard to pinpoint whether it really means anything real, and if so what. Is it anxiety? If so is the child usually anxious or only about this test? Or most tests, but not school work? Is there a vision problem, a co-ordination problem, an attention problem, an actual physical problem with handwriting? You don't get any of those answers from the WISC, only a hint that you need to investigate something.

My 2nd DD is actually quite co-ordinated, has good sensory integration and is reasonably attentive, but physically cannot hold a pencil well without a custom brace and special pencil grips, this might be why her PSI score was 50th percetile, but she also just plain refused to finish the test and got a perfectly average score in half the available time, which the tester would not have mentioned on the report had I not brought it up. The tester seemed to assume that this was all DD could figure out - hello, she did each item perfectly twice, she feels she has proved mastery, she's not unable to figure out what to do, you didn't emphasise that it's a race, or that she has to do as much as she possibly can, you only told her what goes where, she's shown you that she understood the instructions, it's a really boring test and her hand hurts so she's done.... She's also not a fast kid, but I don't think the PSI score she has tells us anything real at this point in time...

The child you are describing here though is a child that sounds like they need a full neurospsych evaluation to me.

Also - I could be wrong but I believe that by your child's age the PRI subtests are timed - which means that if whatever caused the lower PSI was also at work during the PRI tests then their actual visual spatial reasoning ability is quite likely underestimated by that 135.

R
    rachsr Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Another example that comes to mind is the child with excellent processing speed in life, who has a lot of perfectionist behaviors and gets a low score because they are trying to do the task perfectly. Or even a child with a good work ethic who has trained themself that 'slow and steady beats fast and sloppy' - who wouldn't want a child to learn that?
    Thanks Grinity for writing up such a treasure trove of information. I dont think DS is a perfectionist but he is definetly is the slow and steady type.

What slowed me down in day to day life was my 'bottleneck' (not a true disability, just a place where my racecar brain had only tricycle wheels to ride on i.e. average for an average person, but a true PIA for me)
    This is such a beautiful anology.
    with Working Memory. Getting dressed, teeth brushed and fed in the morning is a great example of a complicated task with lots of little parts to juggle,track, and monitor.
    I hadnt thought of this maybe a timer for each task will help him. I should try it tomorrow.
    ?
    (You might wonder why I think I have lightening fast PS even though I've never seen any of my test results. I sort of know because when I go to a movie, I laugh about 10 seconds before the rest of the crowd gets started. It also helps with reading between the lines to pick up on little things that are not directly stated.)
    This reminded me that DS has a great sense of humour. He loves comedies and laughs his head off during movies that he drowns out the next bit of conversation that follows. His creative writing assignments at school have all been funny - juvenile humor nothing subtle ;-)

Please ask about any questions that come to mind while reading this!

Grinity

Thanks Grinity - thank you for being so helpful. I will pursue the route of getting an eval from a neuro psychologist.

Originally Posted by rachsr
    This is such a beautiful anology.
    [I will pursue the route of getting an eval from a neuro psychologist.
    Glad to hear it - hopefully nothing will show up, but so worth knowing.

Your Pedi is a good place to start. Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Last edited by Grinity; 05/21/12 12:08 PM.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by rachsr
    How do I go about getting a referral for a Neuro psych ? Do I talk to his Pediatrician? I am hoping the insurance can cover most or atleast part of it. The testing we got done since it was called "gifted" was not covered by insurance.

We were referred to our neuropscyh by our pediatrician, and our insurance did cover most of the cost (not all insurance policies do - but there is a chance it might!). What I would tell your ped is this:

"He has been frustrated with school work this year and has had complaints that he takes too long to complete his work."

Show the ped the testing you have, and the discrepancies, and explain that since your ds was being tested for gifted only, the psych doing the testing didn't have any explanations for you re the discrepancies, and that since the testing you've researched and found that those discrepancies may be playing a part in your ds' frustration with schoolwork.

Also let your ped know about any other concerns such as lack of organization in daily life or delays in motor skills or anything else you can think of. BUT - don't worry about over thinking how to convince your ped - just letting him know that your ds is frustrated with schoolwork combined with the score discrepancies is enough to warrant a neuropsych referral.

polarbear

R
    rachsr Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    [This is interesting to me, because as far as I know, there isn't any subtest in Verbal that requires a pencil.

First I have to apologize for bailing out on this discussion - we had guests who were staying with us for a few days and it got hectic.
    Coming back to your post,
    The test she showed me must have been the WJ III Nu then (DS was given WSIC IV and WJ III). I have yet to educate myself on the different tests so I must have confused both of them since we were going back and forth between the tests at the end of the session.Sorry for the confusion.So he maybe at a happy place in LA/Reading at school. I havent heard him complain about Reading much ;-)

Here are his WSIC subscores
    VCI
    Similarity 13
    Vocabulary 13
    Comprehension 12

PRI
    Blockdesign 14
    Picture Concepts 15
    Matrix reasoning 18

WMI
    Digit Span 13
    Letter Number Sequencing 11

PSI
    Coding 8
    Symbol Search 12

It would certainly be sweet to see him get his love of learning back - I look forward to that day!

C
    C
    Those look like comfortably MG scores to me with the two outliers being the 8 and the 18. Two scores that fall outside the range of typical aren't major cause for concern, though. Speed doesn't appear to have impacted him on block design terribly either although I would leave room for the assumption that the block design test is a bit of a low ball for him.

I'd venture to guess, based on the PSI subtests, that visual scanning isn't so much of a problem for him as is the physical act of writing. If a 2e issue is at play, I'd be more inclined to investigate dysgraphia than visual problems.

R
    rachsr Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    I wanted to pull these quotes out to show you that he IS being affected by his bottlenecks. If you think he is lazy, unmotivated, skating by, then most teachers are probably thinking the same thing. If you are yelling at him every simgle morning, isn't it likely that he is internalizing a self image of himself as 'babyish' or 'unable to do things right?'
    You are echoing my thoughts here. When I wrote about yelling at him in the morning to hurry up I had also written that now I feel terrible for having done that. I deleted that line thinking I need to focus on him and not my feelings here. Thank you so much for bringing it up. Yes Now I realize I havent been helping him at all. All this is new to me so I have a lot of learning to do. I grew up in an environment that was totally oblivious to such issues. Either you did well at school or you didnt and were labelled stupid or asked to work harder to catch up. I heard about things like dyslexia for the first time when I came here to the USA. I am trying to change my ways and educate myself on this. Last weekend DS did a double take and looked at me strangely when I sympathised with him about something. He seems to realize I am on his team now. keeping my fingers crossed :-)

To put it another way. Suppose that you had to go through each day with a 20 pound weight strapped to your head. Wouldn't you try to 'skate away with the least possible effort?'
    Another great anology for me to remember.

This can be very hard to hear, and I do want you to set standards for your son.
    Sadly, you can't work on everything at the same time.

Yes I am rather overwhelmed with all the information that is out there and more so with looking at Ds's actions in a new light.
    Baby steps for now. Thankfully school will be done in a few weeks so we will have time to ourselves and one struggle less.

R
    rachsr Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Originally Posted by WhoIsDaveGalt
    This conceptual thinking is also what I believe leads to faster processing speed.
    There is a new site that uses this approach to teach reading effectiveness, www.readspeeder.com. The basic approach of this method is to concentrate primarily on improving comprehension as a MEANS to improve reading speed.

Very interesting. I will be sure to look into it. Thanks

R
    rachsr Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    The child you are describing here though is a child that sounds like they need a full neurospsych evaluation to me.

Also - I could be wrong but I believe that by your child's age the PRI subtests are timed - which means that if whatever caused the lower PSI was also at work during the PRI tests then their actual visual spatial reasoning ability is quite likely underestimated by that 135.

I am planning to get an appointment with his Pediatrician soon for a referral. Hopefully we can get some answers.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM