Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by ABQMom
    I am more convinced that ever that the only way things will change is if there is ever a mandate that every teacher must have one class in college that covers meeting the needs of special education children in the regular classroom. Most of these people mean well but are just ignorant that what they are saying is hurtful, condescending, misdirected and dismissive.

Hah! In TX teachers don't even need to have a degree in anything even resembling education. So long as they *have* a degree, and can pass the certification test, they can be a teacher. On the whole, it's good, this way you can attract folks with math degrees, or whatever, to come teach without them feeling like they'll have to take more classes... but the downside is teachers who do not have any thorough training.

~amy
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by epoh
    Originally Posted by ABQMom
    I am more convinced that ever that the only way things will change is if there is ever a mandate that every teacher must have one class in college that covers meeting the needs of special education children in the regular classroom. Most of these people mean well but are just ignorant that what they are saying is hurtful, condescending, misdirected and dismissive.

Hah! In TX teachers don't even need to have a degree in anything even resembling education. So long as they *have* a degree, and can pass the certification test, they can be a teacher. On the whole, it's good, this way you can attract folks with math degrees, or whatever, to come teach without them feeling like they'll have to take more classes... but the downside is teachers who do not have any thorough training.

I didn't think NM would ever have more strict rules for education than Texas! The teachers here have a special program they can go through that is two years of classes and mentoring while they are teaching if they've been hired with some other degree than an education-related degree.

Okay.. so I was wrong. In TX they also have to do a one year long training program before they take the certification test. So, that's something, right?

~amy
    O
    O
    We're also in TX and I agree teachers can be hit or miss. We've been very lucky with DD7 but I once had a football coach "teaching" Physics. DD's current 2nd grade teacher was previously a gifted teacher for 12 years.

I'm horrified they said this to you. I can't imagine how I would have reacted in your position.

Dude Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by oncegifted
    We've been very lucky with DD7 but I once had a football coach "teaching" Physics.

I had a football coach teaching AP US History. He graded on a curve, and I used to copy the night's homework from a neighbor directly under his nose. So, needless to say, I thought he was something of a flake, the class was too easy, and the AP test was going to be a disaster.

Without any outside, independent study, I scored a 5. It turned out he was casually a very effective teacher.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM