Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (mithawk), 332 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by DeHe
    Psyches are such fragile things, they need to be protected!!

These words are so true! Be a Mama (or Papa) bear and protect their self esteem at all costs. It took a primary teacher one year to destroy DD's and we are on year four trying to repair it. The negative self-talk is hard to stop. DD's anxiety disorder is almost completely school related.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    D
    D
    Hi, there are several issues mentioned regarding dyslexia, dysgraphia; touch typing; voice recognition etc. Another issue was whether there is a connection between dysgraphia and touch typing. I have two children (grown up) with dyslexia and have nearly 30 years working in this field. Unlike some other people, I do not see the value of 'touch typing' that said, I do think students should be able to know their away round a keyboard at a reasonable speed. My children and their father all can 'peck' at a keyboard with good accuracy at about 45 wpm, which I don't think is bad. Voice Recognition software (Dragon Naturally Preferred 10) is brilliant (wish I had shares in this company). I would think the reason your daughter is having problems with this is because one of the things you have to do is 'read something, several different things, IN YOUR OWN VOICE'. Now, the problem comes in when I have heard many students read something like this, 'The cat sat on the mat'. The student often takes a nice big breath, (usually in the quietest room in the house) and then says, 't.h.e.. c.a.t. s.a.t. and so on. Now, normally, none of speak in this manner, thereby when the student goes to use the computer, it does not recognise her voice. It is really important that students take these reading cards and read them in their own relaxed voice. Try again, it really is brilliant.
    The issue between dysgraphia and touch typing, is probably because dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyspraxia etc., are not usually solely on there own, often these condition overlap and it may be that if a student has dysgraphia, they have a small part of dyspraxia, i.e., fine motor control.
    Hope this helps and if you like further information, I have five books on special needs and a website: www.dyslexiaa2z.com.
    kind regards
    Maria

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM