Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    U
    U
    I'm interested in how many of you are mentioning sports. My DD enjoys being active, but is not physically talented. I would say she is probably in the bottom 25% for athletic ability, though not delayed. Do any of your kids meet this description or anything near it, or are they talented physically? We do spend a ton of time outdoors, but DD has never been involved in any organized athletics (we've asked, but she's never been interested, and we haven't pushed it). One reason I have hesitated is that I suspect it would be hard on her to be mediocre at something like this AND also not deeply interested (mediocre at it and interested is okay with her, but the combination is not so great, as it isn't for most people, I think!) Or...any suggestions for something physical and demanding yet also very noncompetitive? I have considered yoga. We have a kids' yoga video that she used to love till our ancient VCR ate it. I have yet to find another good one. She has become too old for many of the goofy "kids" yoga videos.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Do any of your kids meet this description or anything near it, or are they talented physically?

My daughter couldn't connect her foot with a ball to play soccer and wasn't very talented physically as a little girl. She rocked at rock climbing - enough to have several climbing gear companies sponsoring her by her senior year.

I'd highly recommend indoor gym climbing for kids who aren't as talented or physically adept. It's just you putting your feet on holds, hands on holds, and then standing up and doing it again. It's physically challenging and exhausting but not outside the reach of anyone. I'm terrified of heights and have even started climbing myself.

P
    P
    When I say sports, I guess I really mean physical activity. My DS is athleticly slightly above average but not physically talented. He does love organized sports - baseball, basketball, wrestling and he would play football too if I let him.

But even outside of sports, we try to incorporate some type of physical activity. He is not too old for the silly kids yoga videos. He loves to box on the wii. He and my husband play pick up basketball, we go for a bike or scooter ride, I have him run laps at the school, we go hiking or skiing on the weekend. He likes doing all sorts of physical activities and we encourage that to keep him well centered. I notice a behavioral difference when we have not been able to incorporate the activity.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    I'm interested in how many of you are mentioning sports. My DD enjoys being active, but is not physically talented. I would say she is probably in the bottom 25% for athletic ability, though not delayed. Do any of your kids meet this description or anything near it, or are they talented physically? We do spend a ton of time outdoors, but DD has never been involved in any organized athletics (we've asked, but she's never been interested, and we haven't pushed it). One reason I have hesitated is that I suspect it would be hard on her to be mediocre at something like this AND also not deeply interested (mediocre at it and interested is okay with her, but the combination is not so great, as it isn't for most people, I think!) Or...any suggestions for something physical and demanding yet also very noncompetitive? I have considered yoga. We have a kids' yoga video that she used to love till our ancient VCR ate it. I have yet to find another good one. She has become too old for many of the goofy "kids" yoga videos.

K is not talented at sports; definitely average at best, and that's when she tries! She is a strong swimmer but not interested in that as a team sport. I have thought about yoga as a stress reducer...a local center has a tween class. But it's so pricey! She just went to a rock climbing b'day party but didn't have much of an opinion of climbing one way or the other.

D
    D
    2 book suggestions that may be helpful:
    Hold on to Your Kids
    Transforming the Difficult Child
    But mostly Hold on to Your Kids

I will be following this post because I have a feeling it may have some useful info. for my future with my youngest...

D
    D
    oh, and ADHD inattentive, maybe? Have you considered that?

D
    D
    I'm interested in how many of you are mentioning sports. My DD enjoys being active, but is not physically talented. I would say she is probably in the bottom 25% for athletic ability, though not delayed. Do any of your kids meet this description or anything near it, or are they talented physically?

My DS started out with some mild motor delays, now caught up to the average range. He had school PT for a while.

DS loves his swimming lessons (which have evolved into 1:1 coaching sessions in the lap lane)-- turning into a real lifetime sport possibility for him.

He also adores his horseback riding lessons. He is not yet proficient-- started not long ago-- but it's intensely physical and non-competitive.

We do try to make it a point to give him several opportunities a week to really exercise...

DeeDee

U
    U
    Hmm--thanks for the tip, ABQmom. As a matter of fact, we do have a climbing gym quite close to our house and I have heard they are good with kids. I know of a good riding place, but it's distant, and the expense seems significant. I've also considered martial arts, but I know for sure that it would not appeal, at least initially--she is very opposed to anything that seems violent in any way. Yet I suspect the discipline/respect aspect would be great for her. We do try to get her in the pool as much as we can in summer--she loves to swim.

K
    K
    Ultramarina, band, chorus, chess club and dance have been good non-sport, non-competitive activities for our non-athlete. Also, I think that a finding an adult mentor helps. My DD has a very close relationship with her piano teacher -- I tease her teacher that I get music lessons and weekly therapy rolled into one.

N
    N
    Ultramarina, I don't recall how old your DD is, but my older two kids were not great athletes when they were young. They looked awkward when they ran and they were the slowest kids on the team.

They played soccer, basketball and softball in the rec leagues when they were young. DD16 and DD14 still play softball, and DD14 has added volleyball. They now have average speed. Both play for very competitive travel softball teams, DD16 starts on the HS varsity team and has had some interest from some Division III coaches. DD14 starts on her 8th grade softball and volleyball teams. They really enjoy the team sports.

My point is - don't give up on sports. It took quite a bit of practice and some speed & agility classes to get where they are now, but it is good for them to have to work at something to reach a goal. Oh, and neither one can ride a bike. We are trying to correct that parenting mistake with DD7.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM