Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Well, DD6 took the WISC IV today! So of course I am biding my time until we have initial results tomorrow. But I am curious to know how long the testing lasted? I was a little concerned that she was done in just about 1 hr 20 min or so (I think?) Maybe 1.5 hours? She is a pretty quiet kid and sort of hard to draw out which was my concern all along. And she didn't really tell me much about it -- also typical for her. But she's such an internal processor I am hoping the tester could get a good read on her?

B
    B
    Did the tester say how long it would take before your child went it? 1.5 hours seems right, but many other posters have tons more experience! Did the tester say anything to provide any hints? If it was way shorter, you'd think they'd make a comment and say why (uncooperative, having a bad day...)

Are you supposed to get a written report? They usually provide comments as to how the testing went with the child's cooperation and things. If you don't think the results represent your child well, you could talk to the tester about why that might have been the case (poor connection with tester, didn't feel well, distracted...my DD's first report said she was VERY distracted by a particular doll house in the room)

I guess you'll find out more soon!

Last edited by bzylzy; 04/26/12 06:31 PM.
    Hi
    I think our tester said 1:15 to 1:30 was about normal when we brought DS in. I honestly opened up a book and started reading to avoid thinking about how long he was in there. I think it was in the range of 1:30 but I'm not really certain. It sounds about right for 1:20.
    At least you don't have long to wait. smile

A
    OP Offline
    A
    OK, sounds good -- I think in our first conversation she said 2 hrs but then that morn she said 1.5. So maybe that was wrong. We will have a written report but not for a week or two. Interestingly, she did come out toward the end for her teddy bear. I just have this "feeling" it wasn't the best, easiest, most productive morning ever. She woke up in the night the night before, though not for long...and she just seemed like her "younger self" -- does that make sense? Like not the big, grown up confident girl I've come to know.

Also, in our first conversation I said 1st grade -- so she probably thought "oh she's 7." and she's a late summer birthday so she's the youngest in her class -- and is still 6. So maybe that had something to do with it?

Anyway, we'll know very soon so there is no sense in speculating, I suppose. smile

F
    F
    DS (6) kinder was in there for about 2 hours with a couple of 5-10 minute breaks. DD (8) second grade was in there for about 1 1/2 hours with a quick restroom break.

B
    B
    If it's her first 1:1 testing experience it was probably just a little overwhelming. Does she understand why she's doing it? I used to tell my DD it was "brain research" (because she's like the brain since she was 4) and we wanted to know sooo much about her, she's so cool! I'll be a bit more down to earth this time, she has updated testing coming up (hasn't had it in 3 1/2 years). She understands the mismatch in school much more now, being more experienced in 3rd grade and she can see that we're trying to help but it's like science, you have to keep gathering information before you make conclusions and figure out what to do next.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    So guess who woke up with a fever this morning!? frown Yep, DD6. So, on Wed. night she woke up hot and a bit sweaty but from her room being warm -- no fever, no complaints of not feeling well. She was happy and excited all morning yesterday and then seemed quite reserved going into the testing yesterday, but perked back up after and we actually had a mommy daughter afternoon at the mall. Then this morning slept in late (not like her) and went in to get her up for school and she's in bed sick, warm, and stuffed up. frown

So maybe she wasn't feeling well yesterday!? Ack!!

It was her first 1:1 testing and we just told her that the doctor wanted to see how she learns best. We said she'd be doing puzzles and thing similar to what she does with her gifted teacher at school, etc.

Soooooo....

B
    B
    Those darn kids and their timing!! (lol)

A
    OP Offline
    A
    I know, right!? Well, what can you do!? smile

A
    A
    My older son ended up testing with a fever and being sick. It was the only time slot for the summer, and the tester said that she'd note the file that he was sick so if the scores weren't what we expected, we could request a retest. He still qualified, so with any luck, your daughter will as well. But I'd let the tester know so they can note it in case the scores aren't what you're expecting.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM