Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 285 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Originally Posted by DAD22
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Short version: if you think children's IQ will regress towards the mean of the population, you have to ask yourself "which population?" Humans? Primates? Mammals? PhD scientists?
    The population consisting of (or closely representing) the offspring of the latest several generations of ancestors of the children sampled.
    That would definitely make more sense than using the entire human race. I still think it might be interesting to use multiple-child families for one of the studies. There would be confounding factors that would have to be accounted for, such as first-sibling bias and I don't know what else, but there might be advantages too: availability of modern standard tests, rough equivalence of environment, closest genetic matching, etc.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by CCN
    Originally Posted by Pranava
    Really?! So he's saying that it is highly unlikely that children will be smarter than their parents?

I wonder if he's heard of the Flynn Effect.

IQ is measured relative to one's cohort. If people born in 2000 have higher raw scores on an IQ test administered in 2010 than people born in 1970 did on the same test in 1980, the IQ test will be re-normed to maintain a constant average IQ of 100. The Flynn effect is compatible with mean reversion of IQ.

Yes... but doesn't that mean that the tests have to be re-normed because the 2010 testers scored higher on the same test than the 1980 testers?

In other words, the later generation is testing higher on the older test? As in, if the test was left alone, the later generation would test as having higher IQ's? (I think the average increase is 7 points per generation).

Am I not understanding it correctly? Please correct me if I'm on the wrong track.

(Mind you, I'm guessing this is also a reflection of environment, which is not what this thread is about...sorry)

Last edited by CCN; 06/29/12 09:23 AM.
    P
    P
    It was just hard for me to swallow given my family pattern - I am pretty sure my IQ measures above both of my parents, and I'm positive my son is at least 10 points above mine. Of course, one family does not a study make, but the bias it creates in my head is hard to ignore wink

Originally Posted by Pranava
    It was just hard for me to swallow given my family pattern - I am pretty sure my IQ measures above both of my parents, and I'm positive my son is at least 10 points above mine. Of course, one family does not a study make, but the bias it creates in my head is hard to ignore wink

I'm pretty sure that I'm significantly more intelligent than both my parents and my children.

However, I would estimate that I am at the level of my cousins and my uncle.

You need to look further out in your family.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    A new study has found genes that are correlated with academic achievement even after controlling for IQ.

http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2012/07/genes.aspx
    July 2, 2012
    Genes May Play Role in Educational Achievement, Study Finds

Three genes identified as possible markers for academic success
    WASHINGTON—Researchers have identified genetic markers that may influence whether a person finishes high school and goes on to college, according to a national longitudinal study of thousands of young Americans. The study is in the July issue of Developmental Psychology, a publication of the American Psychological Association.

“Being able to show that specific genes are related in any way to academic achievement is a big step forward in understanding the developmental pathways among young people,” said the study’s lead author, Kevin Beaver, PhD, a professor at the College of Criminology and Criminal Justice at Florida State University.

The three genes identified in the study – DAT1, DRD2 and DRD4 – have been linked to behaviors such as attention regulation, motivation, violence, cognitive skills and intelligence, according to the study. Previous research has explored the genetic underpinnings of intelligence but virtually none has examined genes that potentially contribute to educational attainment in community samples, said Beaver.

He and his colleagues analyzed data from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health, also known as Add Health. Add Health is a four-wave study of a nationally representative sample of American youths who were enrolled in middle or high school in 1994 and 1995. The study continued until 2008, when most of the respondents were between the ages of 24 and 32. The participants completed surveys, provided DNA samples and were interviewed, along with their parents. The sample used for this analysis consisted of 1,674 respondents.

The genes identified in this research are known as dopamine transporter and receptor genes. Every person has the genes DAT1, DRD2 and DRD4, but what is of interest are molecular differences within the genes, known as alleles, according to Beaver. Subjects who possessed certain alleles within these genes achieved the highest levels of education, according to the findings.

K
    K
    A recent president of the Behavior Genetics Association (which hosts an online group of which I am part) saw the same press release, and commented,

"Dopaminergic Polymorphisms and Educational Achievement:
    Results From a Longitudinal Sample of Americans

"Here is my question: if a linear combination of three environmental measures-- books in the home, air quality and hours spent watching TV-- correlated -.12 with educational achievement, would anyone take it seriously?"

There seems to be a lot of grasping at straws in current genetic studies of human behavior. The more genes are investigated across more individuals, the less each gene appears to have to do with any behavior of interest.

"Students have no shortcomings, they have only peculiarities." Israel Gelfand
    Apple. Fall. Tree.

Whether by nature or nurture....

T
    T
    My husband and I have different kinds of smart (both demonstrably from several generations of that kind of smart). We appear to have passed both kinds to our children. They are a little bit scary.

Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Just from observation, though, the idea that it's rare for children of highly intelligent parents to be as intelligent as their parents doesn't seem at all plausible to me, at least when we're talking about parents both highly successful in the scientific/technical domain. It would be interesting to see research that compared children of couples both with similar IQs who work in the same field and have other indications of having "the same kind of" high IQ with children of couples with similar IQ numbers but different "kinds", actually.

ETA: we've talked about this often on this site. Here is a post I wrote last year to explain that "regression to the mean" doesn't work the way people sometimes think. Short version: if you think children's IQ will regress towards the mean of the population, you have to ask yourself "which population?" Humans? Primates? Mammals? PhD scientists?

Originally Posted by Tallulah
    My husband and I have different kinds of smart (both demonstrably from several generations of that kind of smart). We appear to have passed both kinds to our children. They are a little bit scary.

Don't keep us in suspense!

What "kinds of smart" have you given them?

On my husband's side of the family there does seem to be a gene for exceptional memory. Some of the people have it, some don't and it is crystal clear who has it and who doesn't. My husband has it, my oldest daughter has it, my other daughter does not. Ask my husband any birthday or anniversary date on either side of our very large and extended family - no problem. Ask him to put together a piece of IKEA furniture and we are in trouble.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM