Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by AlexsMom
    Originally Posted by fwtxmom
    the school graduates 70-75 kids per year and has had three NMSF since 2005 (Wow that sounds low!)

Part of that is small class size effect, though. Our public high school (which is a generally good one) has about 6 NMSFs in a given year - but it has about 1,000 students in a graduating class. Six classes at 75 per is 450 kids and 3 NMSFs. Sounds right to me.

The public school with the highest percentage of NMSF in the state has 12 or so out of a graduating class of 750 or so.

There are four good publics in the DFW area. One has 4000+ seniors and the others around 450-750. These consistently have 3%+ NMSFs as a percentage of the total grads. Thus the large district has around 150 NMSFs and the smaller around 30 or so. The so-called magnets in Dallas ISD and other districts are lucky to have even 1.

The privates here see from 10-30% a year of their class as NMSF.

If a school bills itself as for GT kids yet has less than 1% of its class as NMSF with average SATS less than 2000 then its a good bet that its not really what it says it is.

You can also look at the AMC8/10/12 test participation and high scoring students from the schools. A handful of kids with scores > 20 each year is a great sign. No participation is a red flag.

U
    U
    As others have said, I'd be less concerned about the numbers and more concerned about the "This test is meaningless" party line.

I never realized my high school was as unusual as it seems to be; I think we had about 12 NMSF in a graduating class of 400.

I had forgotten I *was* a NMSF until this thread appeared.

That should tell you how much I think of the entire NMSF experience. I have *no* idea how many NMSFs our school had because I viewed it as profoundly irrelevant to my life. It was just another random award that was being thrown at me at the time and I threw it in my award box along with the bajillion other awards I had received.

Originally Posted by JonLaw

That should tell you how much I think of the entire NMSF experience. I have *no* idea how many NMSFs our school had because I viewed it as profoundly irrelevant to my life. It was just another random award that was being thrown at me at the time and I threw it in my award box along with the bajillion other awards I had received.

Perhaps you didn't have to worry about paying for college, but for several young people I know the reality of a "free ride" from NMSF-friendly schools is far from being "irrelevant".

Originally Posted by herenow

Perhaps you didn't have to worry about paying for college, but for several young people I know the reality of a "free ride" from NMSF-friendly schools is far from being "irrelevant".

I don't think I knew that you could get free rides from NMSFs.

I got a free ride, but it wasn't directly NMSF related.

I've just never thought about it since then.

I don't think I knew that you could get free rides from NMSFs.

I got a free ride, but it wasn't directly NMSF related.

I've just never thought about it since then.

I may be dating myself here, but I'm not sure that NMSF actually got you free rides to college way back in the day when I was in high school. I think the program has gotten a lot bigger; I don't know of any schools around here who don't administer the test.

U
    U
    I'm not sure how many free rides Merit Scholars get or got. But I think *sometimes* they are offered free rides by colleges--generally, somewhat less selective ones. I seem to recall that this was offered to me by a safety school of mine.

Because my father worked for a company that sponsored NMS, my tuition was reduced by about 25% for all 4 years. The money came from the company, not my college. It was a huge deal for me and my family.

By contrast, my husband was also a semi-finalist but didn't get anything. (His parents were in public service.) So to him, it was more of the "Throw it in the box" variety.

I didn't really have safety schools.

My choices were free schools in which I had no interest in attending or schools in which I was interested in attending but had no interest in paying for.

The real key is to have your parents *work* for a small private college, where you can get your tuition reduced by 75% for all 4 years. One of my friends did this and attended a small private liberal arts school that he quite enjoyed. No NMSF or anysuch required.

I forgot about that secret, too.

J
    J
    My friend's daughter got free tuition to Fordham University on her Merit Scholarship. However, Fordham is ranked #100, below the Ivies she got into. They still must pay room and board, which is probably $10,000 or more a year, transportation, books, etc. So... It's not a totally free ride.

Originally Posted by herenow

The free ride on NMSF was why I went to a Tier 1 state school vs an Ivy or Caltech. And my smaller scholarships did not get deducted from that free ride. What a deal. A lot of schools do this today. There are some public schools that have more total NMSFs than any private school.

Here is a list.

http://excelcollegeprep.com/pdf/scholarships.pdf

Last edited by Austin; 04/20/12 11:38 AM.
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM