Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 337 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    lulu3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Hi. Some of you might remember me as lulu. With 3 kids we moved from the States to the UK a year ago and I thought it might be interesting to some to hear of our GT experiences compared.
    In short DS1 now 11, identified as GT in the US was lucky enough to be offered a spot in a full time gifted programme from age 9. 24 kids in class. Excellent, caring school. Fab teachers. Seemed to be doing well in all areas but definitely what might be called a 'language' kid rather than Maths whiz. (Self taught reader aged 2, natural writer, speller etc).
    Twelve months later. DS1 has been in a regular public (state) school class. 30 kids. His Maths ability/level is considered exceptional. I think this is due to the high level of the kids in the US challenging him. His levels in Reading and Writing though are considered 'good'. Nothing special, and he is not expected to achieve particularly well in National tests next month. I have considered this long and hard. Yes, DS was kind of laid back, finding all the work easy on arrival, but having now looked at the expectations of the curriculum it it clear to me what isn't right for him. This kid was 99th percentile in all MAP reading and other assessments, now he's about 65th! DS is simply not used to all the writing, and certainly not criteria of how written work is graded! In our State in the US there was no written part to State testing last year, and I wonder if this had an effect! The curriculum here is very different with a huge emphasis on written answers including creative writing short and long pieces in a timed situation. On the positive side, he has secured a place, through a dreaded verbal reasoning exam called the 'eleven plus' at a 'top' Grammar school for the Fall. We shall see how things progress.
    So, to DS2 HG, now 9. DS would have started in the same GT cluster programme had we not moved, but instead is in a regular class. On the positive side he has loved a large amount of topic work. Learning about Mexico, the Tudors and the like in depth. Loved it. His teachers assure me that he is doing well in Language although I really couldn't say as they refuse to give a level (should hear something by the year's end). Maths has been a disaster! His school ability groups Maths over 2 grades (say Grade 2 and 3 divided into 3 groups). Unfortunately DS2 is quite old (no red-shirting here) for his age and in 3rd Grade. Maths is his best subject. In America the school had been wonderful, allowing him and one other child (he was in a Gr 2/3 class then as a G2 kid) to advance at their own rate. He he has been completely bored and learnt nothing in class. He reached a point where he no longer even liked Maths within the first few months, and we have given up and allowed him a private tutor not to up his level but just to bring the enjoyment back!
    Finally DD. Not sure how/if gifted DD7 is. Teachers in America put her in the Primary Talent Pool (no questions asked) and her MAP scores were 98th/99th percentile (that really surprised me). DD loved school in the US and has had an equally fantastic year here. Progressed just wonderfully in both places.
    Now I know this is all just my 3 kids, but wanted to say 'hi' and share what we have come across. Sometimes it is so easy to moan about the lack of GT, but schools don't even mention the dreaded words. My kids are considered 'more able', and it is not all bad. I think the emphasis on writing is something that is probably a good thing, although DS1 isn't used to it. Anyway, just some observations. Anyone else got overseas experiences to share?

Welcome Home dear. Thanks for the update. It will be good to see how things go with all the changes.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    C
    Very interesting to read, thank you for updating! We're in the UK, but DS is at an independent school. I'm not sure whether in principle mixed ability or separate G&T teaching is best - I'd be quite happy to buy that mixed (age, as well as ability, I guess) is ideal, but in practice it doesn't seem plausible that a single teacher of 30 children can possibly be finding appropriate work all the time for real outliers (in any direction). You are probably lucky to be in one of the few areas that still has grammar schools. Keep in touch!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    L
    lulu3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks. Good to be home too. Felt I was a bit random in my post. Sorry.
    The move regarding education has been an up and down experience.
    We are delighted with the Grammar school option for DS11 - (yes, CollinsMum we are in Cheltenham) but with two more kids in the family, and such a brutal test environment we are not counting our chickens. Anyway, good to be back!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent