Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 271 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    I realize this isn't really a gifted topic, but this board is a place where I am in contact with other parents who live in other states. My DD enjoys making and trading artist trading cards (see http://www.cedarseed.com/air/atc.html for info) and has done a swap by mail in the past, which was great fun. She would like to do another. Any interest? I'm going to say ages 5-10, but you could convince me otherwise. (I specified a range because, for instance, DD's younger brother, age 4, likes to make cards...but she would be slightly disappointed to get them as swaps, since a 4yo's level of craftsmanship is naturally lower. I'd imagine a 12yo wouldn't be as thrilled with a 5yo's cards, either.) I'm not quite sure of how to manage the logistics, but I'm sure I could figure it out. You would need to be willing to give out real names and addresses, via PM, obviously.

Here is the swap we did before--I imagine I would run it something like that: http://ellieandabbie.typepad.com/bright_eyes_blue_eyes/2011/03/registration-kids-atc-swap-2011.html

Here is a Flickr pool of adults' cards to give you an idea:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/40643559@N00/

The cards themselves can be bought or made (I buy Strathmore cards through dickblick.com) and may be any material as long as they are the proper size (2.5" by 3.5").

Best to post here if you want to do it because of the blinky envelope issue.

P
    P
    My kids are at school at the moment so I'll ask them tonight. I'm guessing my dd10 for sure would love to, and my other two might also be interested (dd8 and ds12) - my ds' school has done this and kids *LOVE* love love making and trading cards smile

polarbear

B
    B
    Hi ultramarina,
    My DD8 would get a huge kick out of doing this. It's a good way to use those Michael's/A.C. Moore/Joanne's coupons from the paper!

Is there sort of average range of how many cards the kids produce?

Anyway just keep us posted.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    I would probably keep it to 6 cards per kid or something, so they'd make 6 and get 6. Depends on how much interest we get. smile

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Anyone else want to sign up before I put this together? Polarbear, how many of your crew want in?

K
    K
    I have a DS4 that would love it...but is not terribly artistic. If you end up with some little ones, count us in, but if not, maybe the next round!

B
    B
    I'm going to "withdraw" my DD's name. We've decided to do some traveling upcoming in the next several months so we won't have a reliable address. Will likely also not have as much time to visit this forum, though I hope to continue to pop and read about things, since it's very relevant to alot of gifted issues.

DD9 would love to be part of this if it is not too late to join. She is already talking about what she would put on the cards!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent