Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 273 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    D
    DeeDee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by kcab
    I think Dbat has a very valid point though, that one's successes are based on one's strengths. We all want to minimize weaknesses so that they don't preclude success, but *never* at the expense of those strengths.

I agree that there has to be some balance. We have spent a lot of time therapizing to address DS's weaknesses, which were really extreme in early elementary and clearly precluding any success in any subject. It is only recently that the giftedness has become an equal priority. At this point, we still see a lot of benefit in making social development a key piece of all planning.

He is going to soar in math and science, no matter how we pace him now. I'd rather he acquire all the skills for a balanced life in the process, to the extent possible. We're not going to deprive him of math for the long term... it's just a question of timing. The questions geofizz raised are indeed still very important in my thinking.

Originally Posted by bzylzy
    So I think if a parent can find a group that is matched to the child's strengths and it's a good, supervised environment with an instructor/adult leader who is supportive of the younger child being there and can work in their contributions, it could be wonderful for the child. Especially if the school hyper-focuses on the "challenges".

Our school is doing a nice job of balancing focus on challenges and strengths right now, and I expect that to continue. DS knows what his assets are and feels great about them. He is making fabulous progress on his challenges, and becoming more able to talk about them as well as deal with them independently.

There are a lot of unpredictables about sending him to the middle school next year (I don't know the teachers, nobody there knows DS yet, will they recognize his gifts and disabilities properly, etc.)-- but I am hoping we will be able to set it up for success.

Kcab, your thought earlier in the thread about who the peers are was very helpful-- I reopened the conversation with those who can help determine this, and I'm hoping to get DS in with the 6th graders who are accelerated to 7th, rather than with 7th graders-- both for social and intellectual fit, the 7th grade placement is more likely to work.

Ultimately, it will be up to the middle school staff to work with us on figuring out where he belongs. I'm trying hard to be OK with the waiting for that to work itself out. DS is happy; that matters a lot.

DeeDee

D
    DeeDee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by kcab
    I should have clarified that I didn't think you were suppressing your son's math development. I'm just aware, looking in particular at the teens around me in real life, that many kids have neglected to build on their strengths. I think that can limit anyone's potential.

I don't think anyone can deprive DS of his strengths... he sees the world through a math lens. When we saw cannonballs during a recent tourism jaunt, he got busy calculating their volume, density, and likely trajectories. I love it that he's unstoppable... that will get him somewhere in life, sooner or later.

But we are also building and supporting, to a fairly extreme degree, all the time.

Thanks.

DeeDee

B
    B
    In the end, now that DD is 8, I'm actually happy that she wasn't full-grade accelerated, from a social perspective, being that there seems to be so much unsupervised time at school and she's keen on keeping tabs on what kids are doing and reading and buying... Some of the girls she was playing with on the playground last fall are now chasing a couple of 5th grade boys every day after school. Luckily she's not the least bit interested in joining them right now. I can wait for whatever middle school will bring!!

DeeDee I have been reading alot about Aspergers and I don't know about DD but I've unofficially "diagnosed" DH! I told him last week and thought he would bristle, but he quietly said, "I think you're right!" (lovely words for a wife to hear at any rate)

There was a collective sigh of relief...it explains so much!

Anyway I have a question for you since you seem to know quite alot. If it's okay I'd like to send you a PM with my question.

D
    DeeDee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    No problem.

DeeDee

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM