Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by jack'smom
    I have worried we would lose my son's IEP since he is 2 grade levels above. They told me he will never lose it because he will always be hearing impaired. Your son is pretty hearing impaired, so they really must always give him an IEP. That is on the list of conditions that can really affect a child's education. So just keep reminding them of that. He must have an IEP!
    I would push for trying a hearing aid in that one ear. The only downside to a hearing aid is the cost. My son has a conductive loss, which is a "better" kind of loss than a SNHL (nerve) loss, which is presumably what your son has (?). He has a Phonak hearing aid, which cost $3500. Our insurance paid $500 and we paid the remaining $3000 out of pocket. Oh well. The county paid for the FM system, which is $1500.
    ASL can be great- if you are thinking about it, you should try to get you and your family in ASL classes too. Even if you have to pay for that yourself.
    Personally, I would favor being in the public school GATE program. Often deaf programs have lower academic standards (so I've read). Other things you can work with the school- trying to have your child's classroom carpeted, which really reduces noise. Our classrooms are. Or at least putting tennis balls on all of the legs of the chairs, which is easy to do and cheap, and really reduces the noise in the classroom for your child. Preferred seating is also very helpful.
    I wonder also if kids exposed to CMV can have other issues (learning disabilities) besides the hearing loss. I don't really know.

Thanks!

Yes, he has sensorineural hearing loss. I am glad to know that they can't really take his IEP away, what a nightmare that would be!

Thanks for the tips on carpet and tennis balls. We can do the tennis balls ourselves with no cost to the school and I will push for him to be in one of the carpeted classes. I am also pushing for him to be in a class far from the gym and music classes.

I am astounded to find that our insurance doesn't pay for hearing aids. Seriously, what is optional about hearing for a 5 year old boy? frown

CMV is the leading cause of cognitive disabilities. He wasn't supposed to be able to do pretty much anything. We're so delighted by his development, he is truly a miracle. So far we haven't met with any learning disabilities. He reads and does math alongside his 1st grade sister. I guess we'll just have to keep taking everything one step at a time with his learning.

Thanks again for the kind words. It's been hard on us trying to figure out everything on our own and it is so nice to be able to ask questions and hear others experiences.

J
    J
    I bet your son will continue to do really well. Try to get him as much sound as possible via hearing aids, FM systems, or even a cochlear implant. Work with him at home. Consider piano or music lessons down the road to strengthen the auditory part of the brain.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM