Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 311 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    U
    U
    I thought that too, Dude. The quote sounds a little, uh, uptight to me. (NIGHTMARE SCENARIO!!!) But I have no experience with applying to grad school. I assume that's mostly what that guy is talking about, though perhaps for very competitive positions elsewhere (entry level analyst at a management consulting firm or something?), employers do really scrutinize GPAs.

I call BS on this article.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Top private schools, with their generous aid, have been among the most affordable options for poor students for a few years, but rising tuition has only recently sent California State University and University of California prices shooting past the Harvards and Yales for middle-class students.

Poor students. Hmm. Later they talk about middle class. Ie a family making 130K a year. If that family has any equity in their home, the school will expect them to cough some of it up.

$24,000 for a Cal State freshman's tuition, on-campus room and board, supplies and other expenses. At Harvard? Just $17,000, even though its stated annual tuition is $36,305.
    The same family would pay about $33,000 for a freshman year at UC Santa Cruz.

I am highly skeptical of this article because it mixes apples and oranges. Harvard tuition is 36K a year and then on top of that is living expenses. SO the real cost is 50K a year or more.

As someone who turned down an Ivy and Caltech to go to a state school, I did the math back then with tuition 1/3 the cost today and even with some hefty support, I still could not swing it. I do not see how a kid could to it today, either, without going into serious debt.

The real scandal is why the UC system charges so much. IIRC the number of admin positions is greater than the faculty positions and many of the faculty do not teach. Limit admins to 15% of the faculty and require every faculty member to teach three courses a semester. Require every course to have at least 10 students. That would cut the tuition by 60-70%.

U
    U
    Austin, a family member of mine is employed at a UC university and would definitely agree with your analysis.

Anyway, you are saying equity matters while it was stated upthread that it doesn't, at least for Harvard. I must say, I'd like to know the deal on equity, since our house is certainly our largest asset here (we bought before the bubble and live in a market that has suffered less than most).

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Austin
    I am highly skeptical of this article because it mixes apples and oranges. Harvard tuition is 36K a year and then on top of that is living expenses. SO the real cost is 50K a year or more.

If, as stated below, the average grant for Harvard students receiving financial aid is $41K, and the total cost is $54.5K, including room and board, the net cost is $13.5K , which is probably less than the out-of-pocket cost at some state schools. The article says families of students on financial aid are paying $12K on average.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2012/03/record-for-financial-aid/
    Harvard College will increase financial aid for undergraduates to a record $172 million for academic year 2012-2013. Since 2007, Harvard’s investment in financial aid has climbed by more than 78 percent, significantly outpacing increases in tuition.
    More than 60 percent of students at the College are expected to receive need-based grant aid. Families with students on financial aid will pay on average $12,000 toward the cost of tuition, room, board, and fees, with an average grant of more than $41,000.

“Need-blind admissions, supported by generous financial aid, is the bedrock of Harvard’s effort to attract the most talented undergraduates in America and across the globe, regardless of their ability to pay,” said Dean Michael D. Smith of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. “A student’s economic circumstances should never be a barrier to attending Harvard College.”

Since 2004, Harvard has dramatically reduced the amount that families are expected to pay to send a child to Harvard College. Harvard has a policy of “zero contribution” from families with normal assets making $65,000 or less annually. Families with incomes up to $150,000 will pay from zero to 10 percent of their income, depending on individual family circumstances. Families with incomes above $150,000 may still qualify for need-based assistance.

For students not receiving need-based aid, the total undergraduate package cost is scheduled to increase 3.5 percent, to $54,496. Students, applicants, and their families can estimate their costs by using the recently launched

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    They're still punishing savers for whatever reason under their logic.

It makes more sense to spend your money under their aid system.

Check out this post by Val.

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....cs/126424/Re_Wasted_Time.html#Post126424

You can do it yourself. The estimated cost is 23K per year for 130K income and a reasonable amount of equity after Harvard ponies up.

http://npc.fas.harvard.edu/

You can play around with the various buttons to see what they expect you do dip into.

Given that most Tier 1 State schools and quite a few smaller Liberal Arts schools give NMSF a free ride tuition-wise, the discrepancy becomes even more glaring.

And "poor" kids get pell grants (5500 per year) and other help when they go to state schools.

See here:

So again, its not an apple to apple

Best I can tell, a "poor" NMSF going to a Tier 1 state school will spend about 6K per year to attend out of pocket. That's 24K vs 23K x 4 = 92K for Harvard. That makes the state school kid 68K ahead when that is said and done. Assuming the Harvard cost was a loan, then the net present cost of the Harvard degree would really be around 140K.

Last edited by Austin; 03/30/12 10:55 AM.
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Check out this post by Val.

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....cs/126424/Re_Wasted_Time.html#Post126424

You can do it yourself. The estimated cost is 23K per year for 130K income and a reasonable amount of equity after Harvard ponies up.

She mistakenly included equity in her primary residence, which Harvard excludes, as I explained at http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....cs/126438/Re_Wasted_Time.html#Post126438 . According to kcab in this thread, "Equity in primary residence is not counted in the EFC (estimated family contribution)", so excluding home equity is not unique to Harvard.

Assuming the Harvard cost was a loan, then the net present cost of the Harvard degree would really be around 140K.

Harvard financial aid does not include loans.

http://www.fao.fas.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do
    "We do not consider home equity or retirement accounts as resources in our determination of a family contribution, and aid packages do not include any loans. A typical student may receive over $150,000 in Harvard scholarship assistance over four years and the majority of students receiving scholarship are able to graduate debt-free."

If the bright people on this forum have misconceptions about financial aid, I bet that many students from less-educated families are making decisions based on incomplete information.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    U
    U
    I appreciate the information. To be fair, though, my oldest child is in 2nd grade, so I haven't looked into this yet in any really serious way. (Yes, yes--saving is good. Etc.) The sole decision we have made is to put the money we're saving for college in our names rather than the kids'. We also semi-jokingly discuss limiting our income. I could make a lot more than I do, but prefer to work PT when the kids are little. There will come a time when I need to consider going back to work FT. If I do so, depending on what job I take, I will probably bump us from middle-class (true middle-class, as defined by the census...130K is NOT middle class) to UMC, which may actually be stupid in terms of college costs.

Last edited by ultramarina; 03/31/12 09:05 AM.
    I
    I
    Ultramarina, the colleges only look at the year before your child enters college in terms of income (they certainly do look at the other assets you have accumulated). So starting midway through your child's junior year of high school is when that income starts to be inconvenient in terms of qualifying for need based aid. Of course... that is when your instints tell you that you need to work MORE because tuition is staring you in the face (and there is that nagging retirement account, and you can actually start to see that horizon more clearly as well by the time your kids go to college).

Good move to put the money in your name (colleges consider much less available for their costs from your assets than from your child's assets, and there is no longer any significant tax benefit in keeping assets in your kids' names, either).

M
    M
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I think it's harder to get really good grades at a State U. than at a Stanford/Ivy

Huh. Really? Why do you think so? My husband, who went to a small, prestigious liberal arts school (not an Ivy) and then later attended grad school and taught at a large state school, would totally disagree with this, I think.

Perhaps a large survey class in a hard science or math is more demanding at a state school? I could see that. Less student support.

I attended the University of Kansas for my undergrad (playing for NCAA championship tonight--woohoo!) and MIT for grad school.

For me, getting top grades at the University of Kansas was much harder than MIT. Perhaps it was the competitiveness of the honors track I took during undergrad, or perhaps I was more mature during grad school, but MIT was much easier.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM