Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks DeeDee! I have since heard from one other mom (whose kids are obviously gifted--dd's friend told me the other night "my biggest challenge in school is finding a challenge" haha!--that the principal is generally not really gifted-friendly. But I am thinking that since they use the IAS if the points are there she can't say no, right?

Also--why don't they use the 6th grade aptitude test? She should do fine on the 7th grade one given her Explore scores, right?

D
    D
    The IAS is only advisory; as far as I know nobody is obligated to listen to it. But yes, it's persuasive.

Our district does that too-- to get a skip you have to get a certain percentage (75? 80?) on the end of year test for the grade you're skipping into. It makes no sense, but that's what they do. I think they want to be assured of success. (It can't be an aptitude test-- he must have meant achievement test?)

DeeDee

D
    OP Offline
    D
    yeah, according to the district info. the final decision rests with principal--but it just seems like it would be pretty difficult to say we use the IAS but then ignore what it says to do--or at least pretty difficult to defend that if they try. Really hoping I don't have to bring out the wrightslaw stuff for this! I am going to reply and ask what percentage she has to get on this. Poor kid--today is the last day of CRCT testing and now more tests. Thankfully I think she kind of enjoys it. Maybe it will get her out of PE?

D
    OP Offline
    D
    So dd started testing--so far she has done the 7th grade tests in science and reading. A few more days of tests, and then I guess it shouldn't be long until we sit down with the IAS. School ends May 24th so I assume we will have it resolved by then!

One good thing is that all of the girls dd has seemed to click with are going to the other middle school (they end up together again in HS) so at least she won't feel like she is leaving a good friend behind in 6th. I am very curious to see how the math score comes out. I think all of the numbers will clearly be in favor of a skip, but I can see them saying they would put her in regular 7th grade math instead of honors which wouldn't be my choice.

The most important thing is dd really does seem to feel like she can do it. Now to wait a few more weeks!

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by AlexsMom
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Suppose School A has, because of local population or because of explicit selection, a distribution which is shifted one standard deviation above the population distribution. [...] this seems to be roughly the scenario we need to make the school's statement true.

Yes, that's about where the math came out for me, too - that you'd need a 1SD shift of the mean, but a similarly-spread normal distribution. I don't know that you'd keep the same standard deviation, though - there just aren't that many kids at the very top end to spread the curve out. I guess if it's just a selection effect, rather than some sort of floor, maybe.

Ah, nevermind, I know what the issue is. 95th percentile to 99.9th percentile looks like a small range. Converted into standard deviations, it's an enormous range. Like saying, "the top 50% of our kids fall between the 50th and 95th percentiles, so your 95th percentile kid will be in good company."

Thank you for stating it this way--stats is certainly not my strongpoint and I think that this makes things much clearer. I will have to remember this (maybe make a graphic! haha!) for the mtg.--I think it could certainly be useful.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    argh stupid computer just lost my post.

School scheduled dd for WISC IV even though she just took it. DUH! I just don't get why psych wouldn't have bothered to look in file before meeting kid? WTH?

Told dd it would be really hard, told dd she would have to make all new friends. Stupid lady didn't even look in file. We just moved, she has barely had time to make friends. And all of the friends she really likes are going to other middle school anyway. So she would be having to make new friends with or without a skip. I just don't get why the psych would sit down to do WISC without even knowing a thing about the kid?

Yesterday dh was there to give career day presentation. Social Studies teacher told him he had really enjoyed having dd, she added a lot to class and had insightful comments, and that he was sorry she hadn't been in his class the whole year. So I think the teachers she has would prob. be supportive of skip. I think she just has the math test left. I am very curious about the rest of the process!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM