Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 224 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    W
    W
    Sorry, Dottie, you are right. What I was thinking, but didn't write, is that the school for 4-6 was accelerated and maybe she could do a merge of 7-8 also, since her math would be ahead enough.

Hence, 4-5, 7-8 and if she did one more in HS. I wrote about the 2 not the middle school merge.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Momtogirls
    She is young... She has a late summer birthday. She will have just turned 12 starting 7th grade if we stay the normal course. So she would be 12 really for the entire school year. I really think the best path might be subject acceleration in LA, perhaps busing her to the high school par time, at least until she completes Alg 1 at the middle school. After Alg 1, she could take Alg 2 honors at the high school and move on from there. Right now, as long as they are willing to keep her happy for 5/6, I feel like developmentally that's where she needs to be. There is one other little boy a year ahead of her who is probably going to skip 8. He's been somewhere else for 7th grade and his mom will not put him at the middle school. I think we'll watch closely how things go with him!

Keep this thread alive and let us know how things go. I have a son in 3rd grade. He turned 9 the beginning of January. He is perfect age for a grade skip, we're not so crazy about it. One skip is not enough anyway. I do not like the conversations we are having with the middle school in our area so far. Maybe we can work out a quick pass thru the middle school like is being suggested here.

N
    N
    This is exactly the thing that is in the back of my mind for DS9! We don't want him to miss out on his favorite teacher for 5th grade next year, but if there are grade skips in his future (he skipped K, nothing else), middle school would be a great thing to skip over as much as possible. I'm thinking maybe skip 6th and 7th and start middle school as an 8th grader, but by then he will be in high school math, if not long before that. They are all on the same campus here, so that will help.

Keep in mind that if there are sports or other competitions in your DD's life, she might not be allowed five years of eligibility, so it would pay to keep her on the books as a 7th grader if possible in that case.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM