Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    S
    Mom2MrQ, I don't think there is anything typical about Asperger's + PG. That said, my son only has the AS label (his test scores are too scattered to be interpretable) and cannot cope with the timed math stuff either. Xtramath had him sobbing in front of the computer banging his head with his fists (the only time he exhibited such behavior) while being asked questions he could answer in his sleep. I had to stand there and hide the timer to allow him calm down enough to work through it.

Aleks has been much better for him (no timer!), and Dreambox before that (but you are probably well past that, since they only do K-4).

Oh, and the talking with vs. talking at people about subjects of interest is usually a tip-off toward not-AS, but the brighter the child the better at hiding symptoms, usually, so...

Can't really help much more, I have read the Dual/Misdiagnosis book section on AS 10 times and still can't figure it out. That said the label helped us get him help he really needed to better fit socially at school, so I am currently at peace with it.

I'd recommend trying to get those recommendation letters ASAP though. People with more experience of the process might be helpful, but if you have the scores have you tried to enroll him in some gifted summer program in an area of interest and get your recommendation from counselors/teachers?

S
    S
    Oh, and one thing Grinity often mentions. We are not really neutral observers.

And at home we tend to tailor the environment to our preferences and our children's preferences. You might have at home the highly structured, highly visual environment a spectrum child needs to thrive, just because you/your SO share some of the traits. Ditto for what gifted kids need (intellectual stimulation, books...).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM