Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Cocopandan
    Today, I spoke with her teacher, and asked her if she's willing to write recommendation for DD7 to apply for DYS. She was reluctant because she believed DD7 was really bright but not gifted. Then, she felt bad about saying this to me and apologized, but I told her not to worry because I myself was still trying to wrap my head around her test results!
    That's pretty much the reaction we've had regarding dd11 from teachers. Her 2nd grade teacher told me that it was going to be "interesting for [me] having one gifted child and one high child." When I asked about what a "high" child was, she clarified that dd11 was bright but probably not gifted. When tested later that year, she had DYS level scores (GAI and close on VCI).

We have two daughters that present very differently as well. not only in that DD9 read fluently early and was/is incredibly verbally gifted, but that DD4 is much more physical and refuses to show her ability to read and figure things out unless it suits her mood.
    When DD4 is a little older we will have her tested mainly to satisfy our curiosity about how much she really hides in her daily life.

W
    W
    Kerry, when/if you figure out how to convince DD4 to demonstrate her abilities, could you PLEASE share your methods with me? Bear5 is exactly the same.

S
    S
    OP and others, please get her/them tested and read this page:

http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/What_is_Gifted/learned.htm

See points 5, 6, 7 and 8 in particular. Girls with an identified sibling are most likely gifted, most likely very effectively blending in, and most likely not getting recognized for their own capabilities.

Last edited by sunday_driver; 03/12/12 11:55 AM. Reason: omission
    Wyldkat - I think I could make a fortune if I could figure that out and sell it wink

W
    W
    Kerry, we should have the kids figure it out and market it themselves! laugh

Last edited by Wyldkat; 03/12/12 05:11 PM.
    L
    LouDD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Hello ! .. THANK YOU all so very much for your replies. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this !
    Now looking back ... her brother has always been the centre stage since she was born.. due to his extreme behaviour, extrovert personality, obvious academic abilities etc. He has just needed MUCH more telling off etc. So I guess DD8 has known since she was born that he was high maintenance- I wonder if she has compensated by being the quiet and easy one ! We have such a special bond being my only daughter... and I can now see that she has been the one that is the "peace maker/keeper" ...
    How/what would you tell DD8 and DS6 about the test? DS10 was 6 at the time so it was a matter of here we go... no questions.. he just did it .. but DD8 is much older and far more wise...
    Lou
    PS- that is how we spell behaviour here smile lol

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM