Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 313 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    E
    E
    The pee guard is quite high, and it's made of flexible rubber, so he won't hurt himself getting into the chair. It works great.

1111 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks Elisabeth! I went ahead and ordered the seat. Hopefully it will be a "breath of fresh air" in our potty training journey...:-)

Somerdai, I put toilet paper in the toilet today to cover the hole. He seemed more relaxed after that but still wouldn't go. I will get back to that idea once he graduates from the potty, and possibly tub, back to the toilet.

Last edited by 1111; 02/26/12 08:11 PM.
    W
    W
    If anyone has anything to add for me, I'd appreciate it! Bear is probably 2E and is 5 years old. He peed in the potty for a short while (timer in use) until a very bad experience with a counselor (this past Oct.) and has only peed once or twice since then. He's never pooped on a potty (he's on Miralax due to stooling issues, but we're trying probiotics to see if they will help with the issues).

He says he's afraid of not making it to the potty in time (poop related) and of making a mess. He says the potty is too cold to sit on, but won't let me line it with toilet paper and won't stand (although he did before the counselor... grrr...).

I wish I had some advice to offer the OP, we used cheerios to get him to pee in the potty when that was actually happening.

A
    A
    I'm sure you've probably already thought of this, but just in case you haven't...a padded toilet seat might help with the sensory issues/cold seat problem. You can usually pick one up at Walmart or Home Depot for less than $20, which is way more economical than keeping him in diapers. Everyone else in the house will probably appreciate it, too.

I know this is only one piece of the puzzle, but every obstacle you can remove makes it a little easier.

Good luck.

W
    W
    Thanks, but those are actually colder than the ones we have which are wooden. I've still contemplated trying one though because he might like the feeling.

D
    D
    Wyldkat, one process that is sometimes recommended goes like this (stepwise progression, master each step before going on to the next; reward successes at each step):
    - get him to go in the diaper, but in the bathroom
    - get him to go in the diaper, but next to the toilet
    - get him to go in the diaper, but on the toilet
    - cut a hole in the diaper, get him to go *through* the diaper into the toilet
    - once that's routine (always on the toilet, but through the diaper), take off the diaper and only put it on when he goes
    - once he's very used to being on the toilet successfully, then get rid of the diaper.

Cumbersome as heck, but our ped. swears by it for difficult-to-train kids.

I do recommend evaluating for the 2e if you're not sure-- if there are issues where intervention is appropriate, getting them is better than not IMO.

DeeDee

W
    W
    We've run him through the gamut of tests and all they have managed to figure out is what he doesn't have... So no autism, no emotionally disturbed, still haven't ruled out childhood bipolar.

I would try that, but I have no idea when he goes. He's not regular at all. Part of that might be due to the Miralax, so we're trying probiotics and cutting down on the Miralax to see if that helps at all. Th diaper would definitely make the potty less cold...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM