Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 270 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    U
    U
    IIRC the heart of the matter is how you give positive reinforcement, not that you need to avoid it. Instead of praising a child for being smart, etc. you praise effort, or praise achievement while noting how proud you are of the effort needed to achieve, perhaps specifically noting and appreciating how the child didn't give up at a certain point but was creative about finding a different approach, etc. One thing I've done with DS6 in the past is ask him if he's happy to have surmounted an obstacle (always "yes") and if he's happy to be more capable after learning something new (again always "yes").

Now, if your kid never has to try at anything, that can be hard to do. laugh In that case it's time to up the challenge level.

Honestly, DD has really never needed to try at anything school-related. Well, unless you count "finishing the damn homework."

I praised the heck out of her when she learned to swim and ride a bike, both of which took really hard work. I praise her art when she works hard on it. I definitely praise kindness and helpfulness.

Bu--school. I tell her I'm proud of her (uniformly excellent) grades, but I wonder if she can tell from my voice that I know it wasn't hard for her to get those grades. Other than that, I guess I don't remark on the work she brings home unless I see a strong piece of writing (not infrequent). She wouldn't really stand for it anyway, I think. If DH says "Good work" to her about her spelling tests, for instance, she says "It's really easy and I didn't even study."

I guess I'm not very clear in the difference between "what 'is' is.". What is the difference between IQ and the understanding of knowledge?  I thought IQ was the capacity to understand. 
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Since I think intelligence is largely beyond a person's control, I agree

Originally Posted by DAD22
    I guess I agree with Bostonian to a degree.  By the time students are ready for this lesson about the brain and its supposed muscle-like qualities, the brain's development has already slowed considerably.  In the early years, environmental stimuli and challenges can significantly impact development, but once that window has passed, I'm not inclined to pretend otherwise.  These students may be working in an effort to make themselves smarter, but what they are really doing is making themselves more knowledgeable.

Why not be honest about the situation?  Knowledge can be very rewarding, and is often a prerequisite for understanding.

My oldest child isn't 3 yet, but when the time comes, I think I'll explain to her that her intelligence is like a multiplier for her effort.  Performance = Effort X Intelligence.  Since she appears to have a high intelligence, she can manage a mediocre performance with very little effort.  However, if she wants to  perform at the highest level, considerable effort will be required.

This  nicely said by lucounu, this is what I would have hoped to get out of sharing the (non-existent) video from the article with my kids and some other folks in the neighborhood.  

Originally Posted by Iucounu
    With DS6 what I chose to do is simply to discuss Dweck's research and its implications,  so he won't "psych" himself out when things get tough. It seems to have worked to a large extent, though he still backslides into perfectionism sometimes. I also discussed the J. Renzulli three ring model with him, emphasizing effort further. (From my phone)

I'm not sure if intelligence is beyond a person's control.  Intelligence tests are not good at measuring the end of the curve that's where you'd find people willing to play around with it and find out.  I guess we'll never know.  I do know that not everybody wants to be sharper than they are.  Well, that's what they say anyway.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    I always appreciated that the teachers in the Montessori classroom would never give praise for a completed work or comment on a child's "smarts". Feedback was intentional so that the child "owned" the accomplishment. "tell me about the blue in your painting" is very different than "what a pretty picture..."

L
    L
    Ha, I tried out that "your brain is a muscle" approach with DS8 on the way to school yesterday. His response: "Mom, your brain is NOT a muscle, it controls all the muscles in your body, but IT isn't a muscle!" So, it didn't work for me! lol Guess I should have stated more clearly that it's an analogy. smile

We settled on talking about getting synapses firing and "lighting up" your brain by learning new things and taking on challenges. This made more sense to him, but I am not sure that this approach would really affect how he thinks.

Originally Posted by LNEsMom
    Ha, I tried out that "your brain is a muscle" approach with DS8 on the way to school yesterday. His response: "Mom, your brain is NOT a muscle, it controls all the muscles in your body, but IT isn't a muscle!" So, it didn't work for me! lol Guess I should have stated more clearly that it's an analogy. smile

We settled on talking about getting synapses firing and "lighting up" your brain by learning new things and taking on challenges. This made more sense to him, but I am not sure that this approach would really affect how he thinks.

LOL. I found that same phrase coming out of my mouth, but I quickly backed off from it. "Well, I mean to say, your brain is LIKE a muscle, in that the more you use it, the stronger it gets..."

D
    D
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    I guess I'm not very clear in the difference between "what 'is' is.". What is the difference between IQ and the understanding of knowledge?  I thought IQ was the capacity to understand.

It would take less time to teach algebra to an average 12 year old who already knows multiplication, division, and fractions than it would take to teach algebra to a gifted 2 year old, right?

The average 12 year old is better primed to gain that understanding, even though their rate of learning is much lower than that of the gifted 2 year old, and the gifted 2 year old will probably have a deeper understanding of things 20 years down the road.

In the first few years of life, brain development is dependent on stimulation. Exercising your brain at that time can in fact build a better brain. But by the time these kids receive this lesson about the brain being like a muscle, all they can do is prime their brains by working hard to acquire knowledge. All the effort they put in wont raise their IQ, although it can raise their grades.

Originally Posted by DAD22
    Originally Posted by La Texican

It would take less time to teach algebra to an average 12 year old who already knows multiplication, division, and fractions than it would take to teach algebra to a gifted 2 year old, right?

The average 12 year old is better primed to gain that understanding, even though their rate of learning is much lower than that of the gifted 2 year old, and the gifted 2 year old will probably have a deeper understanding of things 20 years down the road.

In the first few years of life, brain development is dependent on stimulation. Exercising your brain at that time can in fact build a better brain. But by the time these kids receive this lesson about the brain being like a muscle, all they can do is prime their brains by working hard to acquire knowledge. All the effort they put in wont raise their IQ, although it can raise their grades.

I'd say IQ is a measure of how quickly and effectively one can build new neural pathways, or re-purpose existing ones, whereas "understanding of knowledge" is the ability to navigate and investigate existing ones.

And this is why effort matters... because the ability to build pathways means nothing if you don't actually build anything with it.

Q
    Q
    I still don't have this one down - I think I probably have gone too far to the other extreme. I don't really praise my kids or discuss their abilities. While I believe that their self-esteems are intact, their assessments of their abilities are considerably off or at least were last year.

I had both DS8 and DD8 take the SCAT last school year. Both of them did well enough to not only qualified for JHU-CTY, but qualified for the awards ceremony with DS8 qualitfying by a large margin. Anyhow, SCAT has this questionnaire that requests the kids' assessment of their abilities in different subjects. Both my kids chose "average" as the answers to almost all the questions. When I ask DS8 in particular, who had been accelated two years in math, how he could possibly think he was average in math, he said "Oh, yeah -- but, I feel average".

Originally Posted by link in this post
    .But there was a third group in the study. This group of children also were told “well done, you solved 80% of the questions correctly.” But in addition, this group of kids were praised for their efforts: “You must have tried really hard to get such a high score”.

.."

Here they quote the same study, but claim you ARE supposed to make a big deal about how smart the child is for doing so good on the work and then pile on more praise about the effort too. But this summary is from a commercial website. Still, I have to wonder what the study really said.

http://mathrider.com/how-to-motivate-your-child-to-study-and-learn

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM