Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #123146 02/16/12 08:53 AM
    hinotes Offline OP
    OP Offline

DD writes beautifully but when I say, "write", I actually mean type. The words that come out of this 8-year-old amaze me. They are profound and thought provoking and years beyond her tiny little frame.

HOWEVER, ANYTHING asked to be hand written brings out the worst in her. She is unhappy with her handwriting. She hates how long it takes her to write and I've been starting to wonder if it is more than just perfectionism.

Math is funny, she'll be fine writing a problem on our windows with window crayons but give her a piece of paper to do the same problem and she clams up. I did just read in a thread that gel pens are good for some kids, so it may be the ease of which the writing happens on our windows (?)

When she does write, there is very little spacing between words. Limiting her to paper seems so restrictive but I wonder if I'm doing her a disservice by not forcing the issue. I DO have her write some things but it is to the point where it is only for items I may use for her homeschooling portfolio. Oh, and she CAN sign her name. I know she needs to be able to do that.

Any thoughts?

~ Christine smile
    Homeschooling DD in PA
    Windows crayons are pretty fat aren't they? Perhaps the small size of the pencil is bothering her hand? Have you tried maybe letting her write with a large marker to see if that's easier?

~amy
    hinotes Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Amy - I love it. I actually just put down a large piece of paper with a crayon and asked her to do that problem. I'm going to test different writing implements and see how those go.
    Thanks!

~ Christine smile
    Homeschooling DD in PA
    Handwriting can be a huge barrier. Luckily in this day and age, we have computers and dictation software. But, occasionally, handwriting is necessary.

Has your daughter ever been evaluated to find out if there is a visual motor or fine motor issue that is in the way and could be treated?

It is hard to say whether or not you do her a disservice by not addressing the issue. Poor handwriting can impact higher level math, note taking, the ability to compelte forms and worksheets. Most other writing can be accomplished on the computer. My son had OT to help with writing for 5 years. We finally gave up, as it seemed to be an issue that was taking a lot of time, not improving and accommodations seemed to make more sense for him.

But, realistically, difficulty with writing holds him back sometimes in math and just daily living. I think you have to weigh the pros and cons of your particular situation.

D
    D
    With my younger DS, who resists writing tasks, we are changing implements to encourage him to write. Favorite writing implements: golf pencils and Sharpies. We will see how he develops...

DeeDee

I thought cursive might help with the spacing, help define where words start & end. I do think markers are easiest to write with on paper. Handwriting Without Tears cursive has improved my own handwriting. (blushes)). At least handwriting is not the most important thing in the world. <>
    Nothing helped me form natural uniformly sized letters like HWT cursive. HWT recommended golf pencils for children, rather than the fat pencils the school uses. I snapped a few #2's in half and it was easier on my kid.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    hinotes Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, all.
    Mich & master of None -
    The idea that she needs to be evaluated has come to my mind recently. I'm going to keep an eye on it, try some more things and watch the boards. At least it is now on my radar to watch, rather than just to frustrate me like crazy. smile

La Texican -I may take a look at HWT cursive...I used to have that in the house... I need to go look for it, it is worth a try. smile
    You all are wonderful!

~ Christine smile
    Homeschooling DD in PA
    These thick-leaded pencils may be easier to hold than normal mechanical ones. The lead doesn't break nearly as easily, either. A dry-erase lapboard might also help a bit for making practice more bearable.

ETA: Gel pens also sound like a good thing to try.

Last edited by Iucounu; 02/16/12 12:25 PM.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    hinotes Offline OP
    OP Offline
    It is funny, I gave her a few options and she really liked writing with the crayons the best. Who would have thought. Of course, that may change tomorrow, but we'll see. smile

~ Christine smile
    Homeschooling DD in PA

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM