Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by Dude
    My point was that businesses and educators have something of value to learn from the military about leadership. I'm pretty sure businesses and educators have already learned "don't blow your people up."

It also goes without saying that not all military positions are on the front lines.

Yes, I think there is something to learn about leadership from the military.

You don't really get to vote on where you go when you enlist, so if you want to use enlistment as a leadership-development tool, you need to do it during a period like the one between the first Gulf War and the invasion of Iraq.

Originally Posted by JonLaw
    You don't really get to vote on where you go when you enlist, so if you want to use enlistment as a leadership-development tool, you need to do it during a period like the one between the first Gulf War and the invasion of Iraq.

You can vote not to serve in the foxholes by enlisting in the Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard.

And I can't speak for the other forces on how much control you can exercise once you're enlisted, but I can say I didn't end up in Hawaii on accident.

Yes, I think there is something to learn about leadership from the military.

The military is the place to start when learning about leadership. The chain of command is used every day. And its up or out.

Not true. Yes, do get to choose your MOS or job, and many get to pick the unit they will go to. After reenlistment,almost all get to pick the schools and units they get posted to. There are some mandatories, like fleet service or overseas like Korea, etc.

And by being squared away, learning all the time, and volunteering for everything, you can get some pretty cool assignments even if you are posted to a pretty bad place.

And creating PTSD, which results in 100% service connected disability, and then they land in my office. That was earlier this week.

PTSD is all around us. People get burned out in the civilian world as well. I have a number of people working for me who cannot handle the "front lines" so to speak.

So, maybe you need to add an "in relative peacetime" to your statement. Once Afghanistan is finished, we will be back to that state again.

I doubt if things will be "peaceful" for some time. We are entering a period more like the "thirty years war."

Last edited by Austin; 02/16/12 01:38 PM.
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I thought the article would provoke some interesting conversation but I didn't expect a debate on military training...

I am not so in favor of promoting military training to DD for leadership skills. I hope there is a safer way.

Though military has been used for many people to pay for graduate school. I know some MDs that went that way. And it is a great way to learn skills like air traffic control and air plane mechanics.

Addendum: I know I have DD doing a lot of things. (feel the critique) Though at the same time, I want her to know you can stop and have fun. We are leaving for the DR on Sat for 8 days. Have eco-tourism hanging with crocodiles, swimming with sharks and dolphins. And half laying in the sun (that is me) while she hangs in the pool with other kids). And she asked for 2 ziplines. One in the south and one in the north. I am not the worst mother.

Wren, I would have loved to have a mother who cared as much as you do about providing opportunities.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Originally Posted by Dude
    You can vote not to serve in the foxholes by enlisting in the Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard.

And I just met with a Navy guy who was poisoned (to the point of permanent lung damage) by the (U.S. locals) who apparently did that for fun to the navy guys. Less than honorable discharge. Ouch.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    Wren, I would have loved to have a mother who cared as much as you do about providing opportunities.

I agree.

G
    G
    "Wren, I would have loved to have a mother who cared as much as you do about providing opportunities."

Me too! I think, Wren, it is very obvious (to me) how fiercely you love your daughter and how lucky she is to have you as her mum. I have different ideas about what success looks like, but I think you are incredibly creative and determined in creating experiences for your dd. I often read your posts and think 'wow, what a fantastic opportunity'. smile

Last edited by Giftodd; 02/17/12 01:58 PM. Reason: (forgot to quote)

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations