Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
    Val Offline
    That data is pretty old. Is there anything newer?

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Val
    That data is pretty old. Is there anything newer?

Not that I know of, but I have spent not spent much time looking for such data.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    On the topic of EQ versus IQ, here's a study that says these five personality attributes trump IQ on job performance: extroversion, conscientiousness, emotional stability, agreeableness and openness to new experiences.

Full story

Last edited by Dude; 02/24/12 10:12 AM.
    U
    U
    I'm concerned by the obvious ideological bias of the site Bostonian cites (http://lagriffedulion.f2s.com/index.html). This is not a peer-reviewed academic journal by any stretch of the imagination.

J
    J
    As a doctor during internship, we used to say the key to being a great doctor were the three A's: Available, affable, and able. And Available was the most important.

Originally Posted by Dude
    For example, with the black group making over $100k being so small in comparison to the corresponding white group, high-income individuals in industries like sports and entertainment, where education and success are not necessarily correlated, will have an outsized effect on the overall statistics for that group.

LOL. What planet are you from?

Just about everyone I've hired the last few months makes that much or more. None are any good at sports, though. (And none are white or asian.) And the young physician I dated years ago made 200K.

This man is very bright. I am sure he makes middle six figures.

http://cobb.typepad.com/

On the topic of EQ versus IQ, here's a study that says these five personality attributes trump IQ on job performance: extroversion, conscientiousness, emotional stability, agreeableness and openness to new experiences.

Full story

A good manager can get all kinds of people to work together. In jobs requiring a high degree of problem solving ability, you will need smarter people. The affable people are the glue to bond everyone. The right mix is important. Managing egos is important too.

Last edited by Austin; 02/27/12 07:54 AM.
    Originally Posted by Austin

Just about everyone I've hired the last few months makes that much or more. None are any good at sports, though. (And none are white or asian.) And the young physician I dated years ago made 200K.

It depends on your geographic region, too.

For example, I'm from planet "never made six figures" and "costs $2,000 per month to raise a family of four" (not counting automobile replacement costs every 10-15 years).

Now, if I went to an actual metro area, say, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh (not to mention D.C. or NYC), that would be different. I would also have a mortgage. And a commute that was longer than 10 minutes.

I have financial problems. Specifically, my problem is "what do I do with my surplus cash so that it doesn't get eroded by inflation?"

The rich-poor divide has a geographic component.

Last edited by JonLaw; 02/27/12 08:10 AM.
    For example, with the black group making over $100k being so small in comparison to the corresponding white group, high-income individuals in industries like sports and entertainment, where education and success are not necessarily correlated, will have an outsized effect on the overall statistics for that group.

I'm from a planet where people know how to read numbers, because:

"7 percent of all black test takers were from families with incomes of more than $100,000. The comparable figure for white test takers is 27 percent."

And since blacks only make up 18% of the US population, and a smaller percentage of blacks take the SAT than whites, it's not very hard to deduce that one of these groups is smaller than the other one.

This man is very bright. I am sure he makes middle six figures.

http://cobb.typepad.com/

Anecdotal evidence fail, we're talking about statistics.

Full story

A good manager can get all kinds of people to work together. In jobs requiring a high degree of problem solving ability, you will need smarter people. The affable people are the glue to bond everyone. The right mix is important. Managing egos is important too. [/quote]

In some jobs, yes, but what the article says is that the smarter people who also have those five attributes will perform better, and those who are not quite as smart but also have those five attributes will do better than someone smarter who does not.

Val Offline
    The college board's income data is self-reported. How do we know that those kids are being honest about family income?

I'm from a planet where people know how to read numbers, because:

"7 percent of all black test takers were from families with incomes of more than $100,000. The comparable figure for white test takers is 27 percent."

I was referring to the sports comment you made.

If you know numbers, then you know a handful of well compensated athletes are just noise in the numbers.

The the vast majority black kids doing well are the children of black professionals or stable black families in good school districts. The rest are smart kids who lucked into a high paying field. The latter tend to have personality issues - see below.

In some jobs, yes, but what the article says is that the smarter people who also have those five attributes will perform better, and those who are not quite as smart but also have those five attributes will do better than someone smarter who does not.

I do not agree.

As someone who manages a lot of abrasive and quirky people in a very intellectual field, I prefer abrasive know-it-alls (if they truly do know it all ) because they can get things done.

I can coach the skills part, but past teaching my cookbook methods, I cannot teach intrinsic reasoning ability.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM