Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 308 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    Hi friends,

I'm new to this board and tried posting yesterday but it never appeared. Sorry if you're reading this twice.

I'm trying to figure out whether I need to be advocating for more for my DD8. I receive her SRI lexile scores three times a year (most recently 1108) but she did not make the cut off score on the CogAT (had to be 99th percentile) to be included in the GT program. She met all the other criteria aside from the test (teacher recommendation, parent observation, work samples) and I'm hesitant to place too much weight on the test because she is a nervous test taker and can be very inconsistent. Frankly, I was surprised that she didn't make it into GT because she is very bright and has always bee extremely interested in learning/self-motivated to learn. The school says the test is only one part of the GT identification process, but since she met all the other criteria, I can only conclude that the test is the only thing that matters to them.

DD8 repeatedly tells me that she is bored and has already read all the book they are using in language arts. Her teacher says she does not participate in class and when I ask DD8 why, she says "My ideas are so different from the other kids, I'm afraid to share them." Last year her math teacher was pushing to put her into advanced math. The advanced teacher refused to allow it because she said that DD would never be able to catch up. This year, we pushed the issue again. She caught up completely within 2 days as if she had been in advanced all along and we didn't have to do anything other than demonstrate the concepts one time. I don't even think math is her strong subject. She just picks things up quickly.

I know my DD8 is bright but is she gifted? Is there any correlation between lexile and giftedness? Is the CogAt an accurate representation of her cognitive abilities? I am hesitant to put her through pressure-filled tests, but I would like to know if my instincts are right or if I'm deluding myself because I'm biased. (Of course, every parent thinks their kid is the most amazing!!) Not only that, but I think the testing is expensive and since she doesn't have any behavior/emotional issues I don't think insurance would cover it.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

E
    E
    Hello! Your daughter's SRI is definitely high for her age, and would be an SRI that I would expect to see from students who are gifted. However, you can't use SRI results to determine whether or not a child is gifted.

One problem (for every school and every state) is that there is no ONE clear definition of "giftedness." Your school has apparently decided that you're "gifted" if you have a CogAT at the 99th percentile, but you're "not gifted" if your CogAT is at the 98th percentile. The school district right next door may say that any kid with a CogAT above the 95th percentile is "gifted." Schools generally get to make their own rules.

You didn't mention what your daughter's CogAT score ended up being (and you may not know), but I would say a child with a CogAT at the 98th percentile or so could very well have the SRI that you mentioned. Of course, her CogAT could be wrong, too.

Whenever parents ask about private testing, the one thing I always want them to think about is what they will do with the results. If the results of a different IQ test come back and state that her IQ is very high and places her in a category most researchers would accept as "gifted," how will that change things? Some schools don't accept the results of private IQ testing when it comes to placement decisions, so her school placement may not change. It definitely is a lot of money to pay if the ONLY thing that will happen is that your suspicions will or will not be confirmed. I can tell you right now (for free) -- your daughter probably IS gifted. However, make sure you know what your options are when it comes to the results of private testing before you pay for someone else's findings.

Will your school accept students into the GT program in years after the original identification year if they begin to demonstrate a high level of achievement in the "regular" classroom? If so, talk to your child's teacher or the coordinator of gifted programs for your school and see if she can be tested (at school) for possible entrance into the program NEXT year. There may be a way to appeal her into the program.

I hope this helps!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM