Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 356 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    teacher or homeschool friends,...how much time each day (days per week) do you spend on the following subjects...math, language arts (breakdown reading v. writing), social studies, science, arts and PE? mostly the first three...we homestudy now through the school district and I'm sure my DD8 is moving much faster than in traditional school, but I"m not sure how much time she should be spending on things. I tried to get an acceleration, but they shut me down...I asked what if she finishes the 3rd grade cirr. early, will they give us 4th? The answer was no. And, even though the teacher admits Butter sometimes seems bored on the classroom day, even she asked WHY I would even want to accelerate her.
    I have decided to let her go as fast as she wants, which will probably result in finishing the year by May, if not sooner...I'd estimate she is doing the required work in 1/3 to 1/4 of the time, but would like to be able to point that out to the teacher to argue for a grade skip at the end of this year, I guess...
    So I need to know how much time is supposed to be spent on these things in a "regular" school so I can make that comparison. tia!

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    A
    A
    I volunteered in my kids' classrooms so let me see if I can piece it together.

The most they worked on math in 3rd grade was about 35 minutes five days a week.
    Other subjects might have about the same amount of time but there was a lot of project based learning and little direct instruction.

Somewhere in there you must account for all the time it took for classroom management and getting kids settled back in after recesses and lunch.

Art and music were exceptions. Art was closer to 45 to 50 minutes once a week.
    Music was 40 minutes twice a week.

We went on a vacation for a week when dd was in 4th grade. When she returned she had completed the entire week's work - including reading in about 2 hours.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations