Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    My 3rd grade son recently scored 257 (RIT score) on the NWEA MAP test for Winter 2012. My wife and I feel that he has the aptitude and knowledge set to take Algebra next school year as a fourth grader. As a third grader he has been subject accelerated into 5th grade math but it still does not present a challenge to him. Subject acceleration had been relatively unheard of in our school district prior to our son this year. It was a huge struggle with administration to get this done so we are expecting another battle regarding our newest request. Are we at all out of line in making this request? We just scheduled a meeting with the elementary principal for later this week.

M
    M
    My DD has a similar math score in 5th grade. I think she's ready for algebra next year (if not this year), but I'm still trying to convince the school that she needs more for math now. So, we're supplementing at home.

At any rate, no, I don't think you're out of line and I wish you luck with the school.

My DS who should be a 3rd grader is taking Honors Algebra this year. It totally depends on your kiddo. Because Algebra is a much more abstract form of math it is often the first real challenge that gifted "mathies" have.

I would suggest that you put him on ALEKS or Conquersmath on the computer over the summer as a pre-algebra student and give it a test drive. See how he does. If he does well, then go for it. If he really struggles, then you can re-think your plan before he is placed in an algebra class.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    C
    Cancan123
    Unregistered
    Cancan123
    Unregistered
    C
    I' new and i'm looking for help with my results on wais 4...

Ditto Shari - just depends on the kids. DS8 has done a little algebra and not had any problem with it, but we haven't spent much time on it (he's already so far ahead of his class.)

~amy

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Originally Posted by BWBShari
    My DS who should be a 3rd grader is taking Honors Algebra this year. It totally depends on your kiddo. Because Algebra is a much more abstract form of math it is often the first real challenge that gifted "mathies" have.

OTOH, being a much more abstract form of math, it is also often the first really interesting math experience that gifted mathies have. I know I didn't care one whit for the subject until I encountered Algebra, and my DW felt the same. DD6 heard us discussing it and she demanded to know what we were talking about, so I made a quick demonstration, and she was fascinated. She was definitely not happy when I stopped with the quick demonstration... she wanted MORE.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    I don't think the issue will be him being able to handle the material as he already has/grasps a lot of the concepts due to my wife (community college math instructor) supplementing him at home. I think the main issue will be convincing the administration since it will require my son having to travel to either the middle or high school building which are in a different town from where his elementary school is located. I'm not sure if it is the school district's obligation or ours to transport our son. I don't think the administration really wants to tackle the logistical issues that this will present. Has anyone been in a similar situation regarding transportation?

L
    lmp Offline
    L
    -

Last edited by lmp; 03/28/12 08:48 AM.
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by lmp
    You are not out of line to make the request because it's reasonable for a gifted child. It's whether you can prove it or not.

I second this - having documentation to show what our ds was capable of was what got us acceleration in math. We used Aleks - it's really handy for this because you can generate reports tied to each state's core standards. We found that type of documentation much easier for the school to accept than IQ scores and the typical achievement tests. If you think your child is ready now, you could sign up for a free trial of Aleks, and have them take the Algebra assessment test that kicks in at the start of the pre-Algebra course - that might give you all the documentation you need, *or* might let you know if there are areas your child needs to fill in before taking Algebra.

FWIW our school district also has an "algebra readiness test" which I think is a common test used across the US - but I can't remember the name of it this morning! Anyway, that's something you might ask about.

polarbear

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM