Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Val), 215 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    G
    G
    I would be careful with any suggestion to ignore the standard cirriculum.

Ideally, your child would take end of year pre-assessment tests provided for in the standard cirriculum. If it is determined that a particular grade level subject has already been mastered, such as a score >= 85-90%, your child could immediately move on to the the end of year assessment test for the next grade level, and so on and so forth until such time as your child fails to demonstrate mastery of the material.

This way you wouldn't be ignoring the standard cirriculum so much as determining an appropriate place to start within it.

The next question would be how do you proceed from there. You'll probably want to become familiar with the options. A good book on this subject for math is:
    http://www.amazon.com/Developing-Mathematical-Talent-Challenging-Educating/dp/1882664922

I'm not familiar with the "Accelerated Math" programming. From the reviews I was able to find on google, it looks like it is more focused on enabling classroom based instruction. Whereas EPGY and ALEKS are self-paced computer based instruction. ALEKS and EPGY simply aren't attractive options to some children. And it is hard to beat classroom based instruction with a motivated teacher. However, teachers change from year to year. If the school is willing to provide ALEKS or EPGY and it works for your child, than you may have the benefit of a long term solution.

An important option with independent learning opportunities, is that your child shouldn't miss out on the fun whole class activities that might be ongoing during their independent learning time. I.e., your child should always have the option to opt out of independent learning and opt into group activities.

On reading. Is DD reading out loud to the para? If so, it might actually be more beneficial if she read quietly to herself. However, if you feel the teacher and para have or will soon have a good handle on DD's reading level, and DD has some freedom in the selection of books, you might consider leaving well enough alone. The best way to improve reading is by reading. And if the para is available to discuss the texts and help DD understand new words and phrases, then DD is in good hands.

I'd forgotten to mention Roald Dahl's books. I'm glad you did. My daughter absolutely loves Matilda. She probably reads it at least once a month wink

At first grade, I wouldn't expect DD to be physically ready to type or write extensively. So English composition can probably wait. You might consider a book like:

http://www.amazon.com/First-Language-Lessons-Well-Trained-Mind/dp/0971412928
    Which covers grammar for the early primary grades.

Or

http://www.amazon.com/Minimus-Pupils-Book-Starting-Cambridge/dp/0521659604
    Which covers English grammar by way of teaching Latin to primary grade audiences

Or you might look into EPGY's computer based Language Arts and Writing programming: http://epgy.stanford.edu/courses/english/LAW/

EPGY is expensive but arguably the best computer assisted learning system out there.

I have to remind myself how important it is to keep everything in perspective. If DD is happy and learning, then you're in a good place. Even though it might feel like it, you don't have to do everything at once. And you may not want to risk rocking the boat with teacher or child. The desire to attempt to maximize your child's learning potential should always take a back seat to providing an environment conducive to a love of learning. And a large part of the latter consists in allowing your child considerable freedom to set the pace and direction of their learning.

I think one of the best things we've done this year, is to keep our daughter's schedule from filling up. Last year with homework and activities we were always pressuring her to improve time management and organizational skills. She had very little free time. This year there is less pressure, and I amazed at the number of subjects and interests she pursues.

I'm sure there are other solutions out there. I would be interested to hear of any good experiences people have had particularly in science. I feel my spouse and I provide inadequate opportunities for exploration of science and nature.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by ggoebel
    I have to remind myself how important it is to keep everything in perspective. If DD is happy and learning, then you're in a good place. Even though it might feel like it, you don't have to do everything at once.

Ggoebel, I completely agree with what you said above. This is why I feel DD5 is in a good place this year. She is happy, she is learning.

I also agree with what you wrote about free time and a low-pressure schedule. We try to maintain that with all three of our kids. Our "rule of thumb" is that they have no more than 2 extra-curricular activities at a time. Our oldest DD (almost 12) is the most scheduled because she's in a dance company; currently she has over 7 hours/week of dance committments, which by mid-December will be reduced to approx 4 hrs/wk after she finishes two theater productions in which she's involved. DS7 has a gymnastics class once a week. DS5 has a dance class once a week, and does Girl Scouts which is at least two events/month.

Anything more than that and I start feeling we're too overscheduled. I like us to have plenty of "family time," to read together, play games, watch movies, cook/bake together, play outside, do art projects, even do chores together. And I like the three kids to have plenty of time to play together. It's nice that, despite the age range between them, they still manage to come up with some pretty fun and imaginative stuff. Also, we all love to read and I like them to have a lot of time for pleasure reading.

GGoebel -
    Thanks for the book references! They look really interesting.
    Smiles,
    Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    W
    W
    Overscheduling can happen when you're not looking! I have never been one to get too many things going at once, but this fall we were suddenly into so many activities and therapies and life happenings that we were all overwhelmed. We were literally scheduling activities at 600 a.m. to compensate for evening time!!

Well, I dropped about half of it about a week ago and boy are we all relieved.

Not that this little blurb had anything to do with anything, but I'm in a "get it off my chest" mode today!!! :^)

Willa Gayle
    Good for you, Willa Gayle

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Parent-Teacher Conference Report:

The conference was great! I officially *adore* DD5's teacher. She said DD is doing fabulous overall, gets along well with everyone in the class, seems very happy, etc. Teacher seems to genuinely like/enjoy DD which of course makes me very happy in and of itself.

She mentioned DD's handwriting and general writing composition skills as being the areas she sees as most in need of improvement; however, she said these skills are developmentally appropriate for first grade level (which is actually good, considering by age DD should be in K this year). She's not sure how much we can/should push DD in these areas. I agree with this.

She showed us the results of DD's first Accelerated Math work at 2nd grade level (she scored 89 percent; 59 out of 66 problems correct). Teacher was impressed, both by the score and by DD's attitude. She said DD was "gung-ho" about doing the Acc. Math and worked at it diligently, even though teacher told her she could just do a little at a time, like one page a day (it was 16 pages long). She said DD said "Oh no, I can do it! I want to do all of it right away."

I told her DD was equally enthusiastic about the Acc. Math at home and that she told me she wished she could just do "her own math" instead of doing 1st grade math with the rest of the class. I asked if that was a possibility? Teacher first said, "well, I'm not sure what I would grade if she did that." I said it just seems pointless to me, if DD is capable of doing 2nd grade math, to have her repeating 1st grade stuff instead of learning something new. I asked if there was a way to assess DD to see where she really is, such as give her end-of-year tests, etc., and use those results for her grades? Teacher said, "Actually it would be pretty easy for me to find out if she has mastered the first grade math curriculum... yes, I think that's a good idea and I will do that." (Hooray!)

She also said she had already discussed DD's situation with the district curriculum director, and suggested setting up a meeting for the three of us to talk about what else they could be doing for DD at school. I am beyond thrilled about this! I think if we have the curriculum director on board it will make things so much easier for next year. Instead of just me, as the parent, asking next year's teacher what she's willing to do with DD, it will hold so much more weight to be able to go in and say "this is what the district curriculum director endorsed last year for DD...."

We never talked about what DD could be doing one-on-one with the parapro because I found out that time is now being used for DD to do Acc. Math. So she is not currently reading or doing anything else with the parapro. This is okay with me; I think having her do the math is great for now.

Another interesting thing: Teacher mentioned that it is hard for other teachers in the school, and in the district, to believe that DD is really doing what she's doing. She said she's talked about DD doing 5th grade reading and other teachers have said, "Well, she probably just has the words memorized" or "she's probably just sounding out the words, but doesn't understand them, so you can't really call it reading...." Teacher said she told them, "No, this kid is really READING! She's reading, she understands it, and she remembers it."

Wow, did I love hearing this. I cannot tell you how good it felt to know that we have a teacher who not only "gets it" but is "defending" DD's giftedness to other teachers.

I left the conference feeling like... "YES! We have an ally!"

Yippee! This sounds so wonderful!

Actually it would be pretty easy for me to find out if she has mastered the first grade math curriculum... yes, I think that's a good idea and I will do that." (Hooray!)

congradulations! Each good year is a treasure. Enjoy every minute! Keep documenting. Use a camcorder to record her reading and discussing what she's read (and if you can, save a copy for the teacher to show the other teachers.) Use a little creativity to come up with a rational for DD to "perform" - like an evening with a few friends where each person show a talent, and you record everyone's performance.

I am so pleased for you Galaxy Girl and DD5!

Big Smiles and Hearty handshakes,
    Trinity

S
    S
    Ack! Hello all...somehow I managed to post this response below on the wrong thread...(I hope this site isn't some sort of IQ test - if so, I think I just failed....) Anyway, here is my post and question below.....Thanks!

Hello! Galaxy Girl, I'm wondering if Accelerated Reader/Math are computer programs, workbooks, systems, or what? I'm planning a conference with my 6 year old son's teacher this week - he is bored out of his skull. (I haven't figured out abbreviations yet...I see sons are referred to as "DS" - but what does the "D" stand for?)

His teacher sent home all of the spelling words for the rest of the year today - and he can already spell nearly all 80 of them perfectly. At Ania's advice, I checked out the Beestar.org site with him today - and he absolutely loved it, and I had to fight to get him to stop doing it to go to bed! I was thrilled to see him so excited. He constantly tells us that he hates school, so I'm hopeful we can make some changes for him. The math they are doing he mastered years ago - single digit addition and subtraction. So I'm looking for sites/resources to suggest in our conference.

So glad to hear about your daughter's situation! Is she still doing well?
    Susan

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Hi Susan,

Accelerated Reading/Math are computer programs. You can look them up on Google for more info. I don't know if they are something an individual can purchase and use at home, but I suspect they're designed just for school use. I've heard they're very expensive.

DS, DD, etc. generally means "dear son, dear daughter" -- but could mean "darn son" etc. depending on the day. ;-)

It's nice to hear that your son was so excited by the beestar.org site. It's fun to see what they get excited about. Sad, though, to hear that he hates school. It is really heartbreaking as a parent to hear that, isn't it? And to watch them having to do such repetitive work. Does he like his teacher? Or anything about school?

My DD (now 6) is still doing well, I think. She's had a bit of a slump since the holiday break--not as excited about going to school and had some difficult days, including "emotional meltdowns" over several art-type projects which made her frustrated, some work she just refused to finish, and other work where she didn't want to follow directions (she said her way was just fine). So the teacher finally got to see the stubborn, obstinate side of DD--which I know can be very annoying! But DD was also saying she was tired, hungry, didn't get enough sleep, etc. during these times. When the teacher talked to me about it, I realized DD just wasn't feeling good. She'd had some sick days before then and I think I sent her back to school too soon.

I continue to be thrilled with DD's teacher. I told her about a local conference for teachers by Dr. Ellen Fiedler on "Empowering Gifted Students" and she actually went to it! That made me so happy.

Also, she has a student teacher this semester, so DD is now working daily with the student teacher to go through the 2nd grade math curriculum, while the rest of the class does 1st grade math. This has worked out great for DD's teacher to have the extra help--and of course we love it, because it's like DD has a private tutor for math.

Overall it's not a perfect situation--I would like to see her doing more with reading, writing, and have a compacted curriculum in some subjects--but I think it's as good as we can get right now from our public school district. I think the little bit of advanced work DD does gives her just enough challenge to keep her happy with school. I only hope we can find a teacher for next year who is as good as this one. I truly dread the thought of having to start all over again with a new teacher who may or may not be as accommodating. But I'm grateful for what has been accomplished this year.

Keep us posted on your son!

GG

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM